Refurbished cameras?

I haven't noticed any substantial price differences from new to refurbished. In fact, often times a refurbished unit from the manufacturer is more expensive than a new unit from somewhere like Amazon, BestBuy etc... the Nikon D7100 is a perfect example. 2,100 for a refurbished kit with 2 lenses. The same kit new from Best Buy is 1,649.00

Which ones are you looking at that offer substantial discounts?

D7100 prices right now:
New $1096
Refurb: $927

Good luck finding anything with two lenses that is a refurb. What you were looking at probably only had one component out of the kit that was actually refurb'd.

Just a suggestion but if you really want full frame why not look @ the 6D its way cheaper and the sensor is fantastic. It is Entry level full frame but if you don't need the pro feature of the 5D3 I can't see spending the kinda of money. You can find the 6D New on eBay for around $1500 and use the difference on Glass. If your not set just on canon maybe take a hard look @ Nikon D610 another fantastic FF. Refurbished is another great option save money on a like new camera and save more money.Many of them have low shutter counts.
I am concerned with the AF in the 6d, with only one cross sensor and my boys starting sports I just feel like it won't be enough. With the d610, I suppose I've been leery of the oil spot issues. Also, the button placement of the d7100 I had made it impossible to grip and use back button AF. I assume the d800 and d610 would be the same. I nearly dropped the camera several times. So my two FF contenders for different reasons are the mkiii or the nikon DF, because it looks like it would really fit my hands.

My 7D was bought from Canon USA as refurbished (Via the Canon Royalty Program and got 20% off their regular refurbished price at that time). The camera came in a brown box and had everything like the new one. When I received my camera, I cannot tell if it is a new or refurbished when I looked at it. I can only tell it is a refurbished because of the shutter count. Mine was about 2 thousand and from the other forum, someone had reported his refurbished camera from Canon was less than 25 clicks.

At that time when I bought my 7D, Canon only offer 90 days warranty but now it is 1 year. To me, it is really no difference at all.

Right at this moment, the refurbished 6D body @ Canon is $1,394.20 (before tax and shipping) ($125 off promotion end 6/28) and the New one from Amazon is $1699

So it is about $300 difference. So around 18% saving.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any substantial price differences from new to refurbished. In fact, often times a refurbished unit from the manufacturer is more expensive than a new unit from somewhere like Amazon, BestBuy etc... the Nikon D7100 is a perfect example. 2,100 for a refurbished kit with 2 lenses. The same kit new from Best Buy is 1,649.00

what two lenses? that doesn't even make sense. links please.

A refurb'd D7100 with a 18-140 is $1000-1300. Source: Used SLR Digital Cameras Page 3: | B&H Photo Video

Used, a D7100 with the 18-140 and 55-300 can be had for $1400.

. I think it's all upside.// Canon now offers the very same warranty on a refurb that they offer on "new" retail gear (for Canon that's 1 year) But "refurb" is typically inspected// Lots of gear is returned because someone changed their mind or the consumer was expecting something different.// ... the manufacturer makes sure the gear is returned to like-new condition when they sell it as refurbished. You get a substantial reduction in price. The warranty is the same so you don't need to fear there is some lingering problem waiting to surprise you.

Some people feel that "refurb" gear may even be better than "new" only because every piece of refurb gear has to be quality tested whereas "new" gear only has lot samples tested. .

I just bolded all the best points TCambell made. "Dizz-actly!"

Jazzie, you know that awful, high-megapickle,ugly black with red racing stripe accented, lightweight new Nikon D7100 and that awful, sharp, light, fast-focusing Nikkor 70-200 f/4 VR-G you returned last week?? You just created two pieces of refurb gear. Woo-hoo!!!!

I used to work at a camera store. Basically a LOT of returns were embarrassing honey-do errands with stories like, "You spent HOW MUCH of our money on a freaking camera?" or, "MY wife says I need to return this. She says we can't afford this." Or, "My hunband totally freaked out and went into orbit."

I just bolded all the best points TCambell made. "Dizz-actly!" Jazzie, you know that awful, high-megapickle,ugly black with red racing stripe accented, lightweight new Nikon D7100 and that awful, sharp, light, fast-focusing Nikkor 70-200 f/4 VR-G you returned last week?? You just created two pieces of refurb gear. Woo-hoo!!!! I used to work at a camera store. Basically a LOT of returns were embarrassing honey-do errands with stories like, "You spent HOW MUCH of our money on a freaking camera?" or, "MY wife says I need to return this. She says we can't afford this." Or, "My hunband totally freaked out and went into orbit."

Haha I was thinking just this, but I didn't want to call myself out. :blush:

But I NEVER said it was awful, the image quality was so awesome I was just beside myself and obviously wasn't thinking straight :giggle:

A refurb'd D7100 with a 18-140 is $1000-1300. Source: Used SLR Digital Cameras Page 3: | B&H Photo Video

What exactly doesn't make sense?

Here's the link:
Refurbished D7100 Nikon Digital Camera| Digital SLR Camera from Nikon

There are four options, select the 2 lens kit. It includes the 18-140 and the 55-300 for 2,229.00 Refurbished.

The discussion the op made was about refurbished FROM Nikon and Canon. I was comparing my recent research with refurbished as opposed to buying new.

Here's the same kit new from BestBuy:
Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera with 18140mm and 55300mm VR Lens Kit Black 13293 - Best Buy

So....what didn't make sense about my post?

Yea the 6D is not a sports Camera for sure but gets me Sparrows in flight, doves in flight so on.I have no problem with the one cross type to get in focus shots.That said, the 5d3 is a better choice for sports no doubt about that but also a more complex camera to learn so be prepared to read the manual a lot and practice with it before the sporting events.

The AF no matter how great it is does not mean instant success.The camera is only as good as its operator and practicing with it and learning your way around the menu and where everything is and what it does is what gets you there.

Here's the link:

There are four options, select the 2 lens kit. It includes the 18-140 and the 55-300 for 2,229.00 Refurbished.

The discussion the op made was about refurbished FROM Nikon and Canon. I was comparing my recent research with refurbished as opposed to buying new.

Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera with 18140mm and 55300mm VR Lens Kit Black 13293 - Best Buy

Ok..so.. hmmm.. could you go over that middle part again?

Yea the 6D is not a sports Camera for sure but gets me Sparrows in flights doves in flight so I have no problem with the one cross type get in focus shots.That said, the 5d3 is a better choice for sports no doubt about that also a more complex camera to learn so be prepared to read the manual a lot and practice with it before the sporting events. The AF no matter how great it is does not mean instant success.The camera is only as good as its operator and practicing with it and learning your way around the menu and where everything is and what it does is what gets you there.

:giggle: I do know that. I tried to get some BIF during my week with the d7100 and was not successful! But, if you hadn't noticed I HATE shopping. So whatever camera body I finally get needs to last me AT LEAST 5-10 Years. If I have to go through the stress of out growing my camera every 2 years, I will end up with grey hair before my kids are teenagers, and probably get kicked off of TPF for putting you guys through this soap opera more than once.

Here's the link:

Ok..so.. hmmm.. could you go over that middle part again?

Enlighten me, I'm obviously confused...

The exact same two kits....one refurbished from the manufacturer, one new from BestBuy....the refurbished one is 500.00 more....

Enlighten me, I'm obviously confused...

The exact same two kits....one refurbished from the manufacturer, one new from BestBuy....the refurbished one is 500.00 more....

Ya.. no.. I'm still not getting it. Have you got like a chart or a graph or something?

Yea the 6D is not a sports Camera for sure but gets me Sparrows in flights doves in flight so I have no problem with the one cross type get in focus shots.That said, the 5d3 is a better choice for sports no doubt about that also a more complex camera to learn so be prepared to read the manual a lot and practice with it before the sporting events. The AF no matter how great it is does not mean instant success.The camera is only as good as its operator and practicing with it and learning your way around the menu and where everything is and what it does is what gets you there.

:giggle: I do know that. I tried to get some BIF during my week with the d7100 and was not successful! But, if you hadn't noticed I HATE shopping. So whatever camera body I finally get needs to last me AT LEAST 5-10 Years. If I have to go through the stress of out growing my camera every 2 years, I will end up with grey hair before my kids are teenagers, and probably get kicked off of TPF for putting you guys through this soap opera more than once.

Any camera can shoot sports i used a Canon 10D along side my 1D
1/60
Image00005-XL.jpg

Shot the old 10D in all weathers never let me down
Image00026-XL.jpg

I'm on Canon Canada's e-mail list, and have bought two refurbs from them in the past year.

Have had a urge to get a mirror less model, but the prices made me lose interest. That is until they offered a refurb EOS M for $269.95 with free shiping. It came with the small 90EX flash. I passed on their $200 EOS adapter, got one on eBay for $52.00.

Assumed I already had way too many cameras, until I got their offer for a refurb SX500 IS. 16MP, 30X zoom, HD movies, all the usual exposure controls, all for $99.95. Quite similar to my SX30 IS, but quite a bit smaller, no viewfinder or hot shoe. The smallness makes it neat.

Both came in their plain brown box, and there has been no way that I can detect they are refurbs. About the only thing that did show was the plastic bag with one that contained the program CDs on one had been opened. Think the EOS M showed a little over 300 exposures.

So I'm sold on Canon refurbs.

Any camera can shoot sports i used a Canon 10D along side my 1D
1/60
Image00005-XL.jpg

Shot the old 10D in all weathers never let me down
Image00026-XL.jpg
Great example right here.That bike shot is great.

Most reactions

Back