What's new

Relatives Birthday Party C&C

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
3,781
Reaction score
633
I was asked to take some pictures, and at first I was reluctant but after realizing how difficult
it was to photograph kids and the very small windows of opportunity their attention span allows, I kind of got into the challenge.

1.

DSC_7152 by The Photo Major, on Flickr

2.

DSC_7001 by The Photo Major, on Flickr

3.

MathewsBDay7_1 by The Photo Major, on Flickr

4.

DSC_7092 by The Photo Major, on Flickr



First live event I've ever shot and as expected it's not easy. But I really enjoyed it.
 
For #3, I had a mother who was a bit territorial over photographing privileges, and I literally had to take this shot through a small space she would allow. She made it a point to stand in front of me every time I moved to take a photo.
 
For #3, I had a mother who was a bit territorial over photographing privileges, and I literally had to take this shot through a small space she would allow. She made it a point to stand in front of me every time I moved to take a photo.

that happened to me once. what i did was to show her the photo i had just taken of her kid. she said, "whoa! that's really nice—you've got a real camera!" (she was using her cell phone.) she then gave me all the space i needed.
 
For #3, I had a mother who was a bit territorial over photographing privileges, and I literally had to take this shot through a small space she would allow. She made it a point to stand in front of me every time I moved to take a photo.

that happened to me once. what i did was to show her the photo i had just taken of her kid. she said, "whoa! that's really nice—you've got a real camera!" (she was using her cell phone.) she then gave me all the space i needed.

Yeah, I just let her think she was in control and worked with what I had.
 
Quite nice but all a bit cool, I think (and could use some local sharpening to make some contrast)

7713291792b1fc6efd01bll.jpg
 
I like 3 & 4, but ouch - cut head.
 
Is this another way of saying you don't like the crop?

Yes. I'm sorry. I guess I was being obtuse with the "ouch" comment. I meant to say I think the photo should have included the boy's entire head, and not cropped it at the top. that's all.

Otherwise, I think this is a very good photo. Sweet DOF, perfect focus, great expression on his face, the candles tell a story very nicely. Candlelight in his face is wonderful. Child in background isn't too distracting. Nice work!
 
Is this another way of saying you don't like the crop?

Yes. I'm sorry. I guess I was being obtuse with the "ouch" comment. I meant to say I think the photo should have included the boy's entire head, and not cropped it at the top. that's all.

Otherwise, I think this is a very good photo. Sweet DOF, perfect focus, great expression on his face, the candles tell a story very nicely. Candlelight in his face is wonderful. Child in background isn't too distracting. Nice work!

Ok, I see. The issue I had was the mother forcing her way in front of me. the bottom of her arm was blocking the top of his head while she was taking a picture. You can faintly see her hip in the bottom left of the frame which is OOF. Although I have to say, I don't think it takes away from the image. Thank you for your thought out critique.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom