Replace Nikon D40 lens or upgrade?

oufyaba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have a 6 year old Nikon D40 camera that has been great, but recently the original lens that came with it has been acting up, and I tried cleaning the lens, and I think I have done more harm than good and ended up breaking something inside the lens and now looks broken. (Nikodn DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm)

Question: I am not a hardcore photographer and just like to take some good quality point and shoot pics using the DSLR and occasional play around with the manual settings. Should I shop around for a replacement lens, get a different better quality lens(18-105 MM?), or just upgrade to a newer DLSR since the D40 is 6+ years old? Any suggestions and recommendation are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Which thread would you like us to respond to? This one, or one of the other three?

oufyaba, whilst I welcome you to the site, I've had to close and remove your other 3 threads - please just stick to a single thread in the most appropriate section and don't crosspost the same thread in multiple subsections.

this one would be great. sorry for the duplicate posts.
what do you guys think about the following lenses as possible replacement for the 18-55 lens that came with the camera?

[h=1]Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens
[/h]or

[h=1]Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF Nikkor Lens
[/h]
or other options?

I am not sure, but isnt the D40 are among those Nikon FX cameras that do not offer a motor for the autofocus to the lens ?

If that is true, you can only use the G and not the D lens. Or more precisely, you can use the D lens, but you'll have to manually focus.

thanks for reply and yes, I think you are right about the auto focus. Which of those two are better?

[h=1]Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens
[/h]or
[h=1]Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
[/h]

Personally if it were me, I'd get the 35mm AF-S f/1.8.

Those are prime lenses (no zoom). For your purposes, I think you will be disappointed. I suggest you find a used or refurbished 18-55mm kit lens as a direct replacement for about $100.

I am not sure, but isnt the D40 are among those Nikon FX cameras that do not offer a motor for the autofocus to the lens ?

If that is true, you can only use the G and not the D lens. Or more precisely, you can use the D lens, but you'll have to manually focus.

HUH? All "FX" Nikon DSLRs up to now have a focus motor. The D40 is an entry level DX body and does not have a focus motor.

HUH? All "FX" Nikon DSLRs up to now have a focus motor. The D40 is an entry level DX body and does not have a focus motor.
Right. No idea why I added FX, that didnt belong there.

The new upcoming FX camera d600 that Nikon announced wont have this motor, though.

Personally I think thats an extremely huge bummer. Theres some FX lenses out there that arent available as AF-S, like the good old 105/135mm DC primes. Thats like the first lens I would think about getting when hearing FX camera, lol. Okay, the second. After a 50mm/1.4 prime.

P.s.: Hey, other sources say d600 will actually have this motor !

You sound like you have no problem with the body just a broken lens. If that is the case, the most obvious choice is to look for a replacement. Of course since you are replacing the lens, look at something you like.

If $$ is not a problem, then upgrade both body and lens. With the new camera, I am sure you are going to shoot more and enjoy it.

He or she seems to be happy with the D40, though. Its quite a good camera, judging from the Wikipedia article. It even has a feature I would love to have: an electronic shutter.

I loved my D40. It was great but I outgrew it. For what you are doing I would replace the lens. I wouldn't go with the 18-105 though. I have heard it is not as sharp as the 15-55mm. I have heard good things about the Tamron 28-300mm, for amateurs/hobbyists, and it may be pricey for a hobby but it is similar in price or cheaper to a new body.

There are a ton of 18-55 and 18-105 kit lenses in like new condition for sale, many at very reasonable prices. If you are wanting to upgrade the body, give the d3200, d5100, or d7000 a look. If it were me, I would upgrade the whole thing and get a new body and new kit lens.

I would upgrade both if the price allows. If money allows, D3200 is a great choice as the D5100 and D7100 are probably going to be replaced soon.

If not, the Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 OS lens is probably your best replacement choice after the 17-55mm F/2.8 Nikkor.

Mark

Most reactions

Back