Request for critique

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eldridgestudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I have been into photography for a while now but for me it has been a solitary adventure. This is my first request for a critique from fellow photographers. I want to advance my ability and having a critical look from others with the passion is a step in the right direction. This is also only my second post to the forum but so far I like what I see. Thanks in advance for your suggestion/opinions.

080503__JEP1703.jpg

090610__JEP4046.jpg

Thanks. I am getting a monitor calibrator on Monday... That should help since the color pops on my monitor. I will work on that image and post some more! Thanks again for the comments and keep them coming!

#1 technically great, but I agree that the plant distracts from the subject water
#2 I dong think more color, though kicking up the saturation on red/orange would provide the needed drama for this shot, though again technically great. Just don't go too far with intensity (saturation)

1. I like the composition, nice shot, the plants don't distract at all for me. I think the shot is over exposed though, kinda washes the color out and brightens the green too much (may be what is making the plants distracting.

2. I love it. Just needs more saturation to make the red/pink highlights "pop" more.

I have a couple more to ask about. The second one looks lood to me but I have to ask if the washed out water in the bottom center is distarcting.

090610__JEP4123.jpg

090610__JEP4116.jpg

I love those types of shots, in the second set. I've been doing some experimenting with those myself. These are cool, but IMHO next time, you could try a slightly lower shutter speed so you get the soft "melting" type feel to the water, but there is still some definition as well. But hey I'm still trying to get it right.

I really like the second two. I think maybe you went a little long on the shutter speed, that is why the water seems very bright in spots. The exposure on the vegetation is correct I think. Maybe next time try using the same exposure but with a faster shutter speed (not too much faster because you still want the motion in the water). Also, on that second one, you could have used a graduated ND filter to block some of the light off the lower half. Again though, nice work.

And here's another idea, that second shot would make a great pano-type shot if you crop the bottom half, leaving the bridge and leaves. :)

Most reactions

Back