Resizing a drawing.

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This probably come as no surprise to the experienced photographer, but when I wanted to resize one of my photos I had to pull up Gimp of my Canon Photo processing program.

I final discovered that if I open the picture with Paint. I could resize, rename and save with just a few key strokes.

Paint is simple but quite capable for doing a lot of rough and basic stuff - esp for internet display. That said it also has its limits. Eg when it comes to resizing, even if you are reducing the size you will lose some degree of clarity in the image. That's why often after resizing one will sharpen the photo to get some of that crispness of detail back (you also sharpen before resizing too - as normal).

Of course sometimes it doesn't matter, you just need a quick and dirty method, but its good to know the upsides and downsides.

Overread,

Thanks for the information. I figured there was no free lunch. :)

But as you pointed out, when you need to reduce a photo from 10 meg. to a 500 kilo. to email it to a friend, it does the job.

Thanks again

There's both Paint and Paint 3D.

For quick re-sizing, I use the free Irfanview. You can also go directly from Irfanview to Paint to add text and other drawing type editing and then right back to Irfan. Very handy.

Attached is sample. I used it in the beginning of a slide show of a trip through the Southwest USA. While not a picture, it originally came from copy screen of Google map trip. All the rest of the stuff was edited with Paint 3D. The "photo" was reduced and saved as a jpeg by Irfanview.
Map 5 16-9 3840x2160  jpeg reduce for web.jpg

Why not use the Snipit tool in windows. I use it all the time to resize and crop photos.

A screen will only have a max of the resolution of the screen. So itf your screen is 1920 x 1080, that's the maximum size Snipit or Screen Copy can capture. To work from a larger image, you have to have the original size file and a program that will resize from there.

I use snipit on photos in LR all the time and it does a good job of reducing the file. No chance in resolution only the definition.

There's both Paint and Paint 3D.

For quick re-sizing, I use the free Irfanview. You can also go directly from Irfanview to Paint to add text and other drawing type editing and then right back to Irfan. Very handy.

Attached is sample. I used it in the beginning of a slide show of a trip through the Southwest USA. While not a picture, it originally came from copy screen of Google map trip. All the rest of the stuff was edited with Paint 3D. The "photo" was reduced and saved as a jpeg by Irfanview.
View attachment 171273
That is why I personally use Win. Paint only for resize on web pages. The vairous image hosting sites show just enough detail to portray the message I am sending with the photo I am posting up.

The single biggest problem with snippet and paint is that the image is mostly based on the current image as posted and its a lossy type reducing if I remember correctly and you loos a great deal of detail as a result.

Adding information like what you posted can be had by many an app or program and many will work just fine for that purpose.
But it still falls back to the old raw v jpeg argument for detail retention. ...

Sigh.. I just wish there was an electronic version of an enlarger. :icon_cool:

As for your SW trip, I have to ask what route you took from the People's Republic of Santa Fe to Farmington?
If you went through Bernalillo and San Ysidro, I hope you got good pics of Cabazon.

We did go past Farmington and Ship Rock on the way to Four Corners and Monument Valley. But we didn't stop at Cabazon. Just too many things to see and not enough time. That leg of our trip I think was the longest in miles.

I use snipit on photos in LR all the time and it does a good job of reducing the file. No chance in resolution only the definition.

What do you mean? No change in resolution only the definition?

Resolution is the shape of the image while I consider the definition to the quality of the image.

Most reactions

Back