Retro lens with adapter bumping in to mirror

MariaDolore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I have a problem, i have a retro lens from the 60s (Super-Takumar 55/1,8) with M42 mount adapter (simple adapter, no glass) witch I use on my Nikon D7200.

When i focus the mirror bumps into it. Witch adapter should I use?

(sorry for my bad english)

Hi!

I have a problem, i have a retro lens from the 60s (Super-Takumar 55/1,8) with M42 mount adapter (simple adapter, no glass) witch I use on my Nikon D7200.

When i focus the mirror bumps into it. Witch adapter should I use?

(sorry for my bad english)

What adapter do you have now?

Would this work better? FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for M42 Lens to Nikon M42-NK-PG

I have this adapter (pic attached). I have order one that you linked but it hasnt been dilivered get. Would it help?

Attachments

• nikon.jpg
    nikon.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 235
M42 lenses will not focus to infinity on Nikon cameras due to the mounts longer rear flange distance (46.5mm as opposed to 45.46mm).
There are some adapters such as the one Nerwin linked to that have an optical element to allow infinity focusing but many normal lenses foul on them. Basically the rear element wants to be behind the adapters optical element. I know the Helios 44 has this issue (the rear element projects beyond the screw thread unless focused to under 1.7m, at infinity it wants to be 8mm behind the mounting flange) & strongly suspect the 55 Tak & any other normal / wide angle lenses you find will too.

The rear element in my 135mm M42 is recessed far enough that fouling won't be an issue, but the optical element will still be need for infinity focus.

M42 lenses will not focus to infinity on Nikon cameras due to the mounts longer rear flange distance (46.5mm as opposed to 45.46mm).
There are some adapters such as the one Nerwin linked to that have an optical element to allow infinity focusing but many normal lenses foul on them. Basically the rear element wants to be behind the adapters optical element. I know the Helios 44 has this issue (the rear element projects beyond the screw thread unless focused to under 1.7m, at infinity it wants to be 8mm behind the mounting flange) & strongly suspect the 55 Tak & any other normal / wide angle lenses you find will too.

The rear element in my 135mm M42 is recessed far enough that fouling won't be an issue, but the optical element will still be need for infinity focus.

I know it doesn't focus to infinity (not with my adapter without magnifyglass anyway) but thats not my main problem. The problem is that the mirror touches the lens and create issues. In the worst case, the mirror's break

Sell the lens or buy a canon body.

I think sometimes it depends on the lens but it might fit too far into the camera body. Not sure if a different adapter will help or not.

My digital Ricoh camera with a piece to use to determine if a lens will fit into the camera or not, so maybe try a lens that fits the camera (if you have one) and measure the back portion - or maybe measure the distance from the front of your camera and the mirror to see once a lens is attached if it will go too far into the camera or not.

Not sure if I explained that well or not, but maybe that particular lens isn't going to work with that camera body. I don't know if another adapter will work or not.

Perhaps cheaper and easier to shop for an old Nikon 50/2Ai or 50/1.8Ai series E 50/1.8.

I would look for one of the millions of Nikkor 50mm lenses... I own a Takumar 55/1.8 and have used it adapted on two Canon d-slr cameras. Optically, the lens is decent, but according to some MF lens aficionados on The Manual Focus Forum, the 55/1.8 Tak has a reputation as being very difficult to focus manually. I had heard that for a long time, and a couple years back I got the chance to snag one at Goodwill for $10, so I bought it. And I found that...the 55/1.8 Takumar is indeed **very**challenging for me to focus accurately and precisely; it is in fact the second-worst normal I've every used as far as focusing by hand and eye. The absolute WORST was the 58mm f/2 Auto-Cosmogony in m42, made by the Zenit company for a NYC camera retailer back in the late 1970's.)

Anyway...if the Takumar lens hits the mirror, STOP using it on that camera! The lens is nothing special, at all.The best plan might be to get a used Nikkor that will give you automatic diaphragm, infinity focus, and full metering with your Nikon.

Your mirror fouling is for the same reason the lens fouls on optical elements.
You can use it for macro (either on extension or reversed) but as above don't fit it direct to your camera, there's no shortage of Nikon lenses that will be a close enough match.

You can buy a used Nikkor 50 D lens for around $50. Not only will it work on your camera but it will provide auto focus, auto metering etc. You may have spent 1/2 that amount fooling around with adapters for a lens that won't do any of these things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back