Review: 600mm f/4 VR with 2x TC III Nikon

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was asked the other day by someone on twitter what I thought about the 600mm f4 VR and my TC 2x III, well I took it for a test run the last couple of days and I've put together a couple of shots for review, and I'll interject some comment about how I found using it as we go on.

Auto-focus

Biggest issue surrounding the use of a 2x TC with a f/4 lens is that the auto-focus is not guaranteed to work. Whilst in good light it is use-able I found that during my couple of days with it that I spent 90% of the time manual focusing, as the lens hunts like crazy.

To combat this you have to engage the ∞-10 m which did improve the speed, it was a waste of time. So if your happy to manual focus then its not a problem.

First photo
Ringed Teal (Captive-Escapee), England / Distance 12 m
Camera - D3s

DSC_0941.jpg

EXIF DATA
Aperture f/8
ISO 1000
Shutter Speed 1/1250

100% Crop
crionass.jpg

As you can see the image isn't as sharp as the 600mm alone, but its off use-able quality.

Second Photo
Ringed Teal (Captive-Escapee), England / Distance 12 m
Camera - D3s

DSC_0992.jpg

EXIF DATA
Aperture f/8
ISO 1000
Shutter Speed 1/1250

100% Crop
1000CROP.jpg

Quality increases the closer the subject is in and with the amount of light available.

Third Photo
Great Egret. England / Distance 40+ m
Camera - D5000

DSC_0095.jpg

EXIF DATA
Aperture f/8
ISO 800
Shutter Speed 1/2000

100% Crop
110crop.jpg

Quality is starting to reduce at this focal length (1800mm effective), it doesn't focus at all with the D5000, well it does but very very slowly.

Conclusion

The 600mm f4 VR is an incredible lens and if you want to get some shots at ridiculous focal lengths, you could use the 2x TC III, but its a bit of a struggle to get good quality, its possible but hope for good light and no wind.

You can find some of the edited shots from the last couple of days on my flickr, which I'll be updating throughout the rest of the day and evening.

Last edited:
It's not as sharp as my 300F2.8 with a 2x fitted

Not really a fair comparison, there's a lot more atmosphere between lens and subject at 1200mm then 600mm.

The 600mm f4 is definitely sharper, and a stop faster then a 300 2.8 with a 2x tc.

Out of interest are those processed (ie sharpened for output not just RAW sharpening) 100% crops or unprocessed (ie only basic RAW processing and no clarity, contrast boost and additional sharpening)?

Out of interest are those processed

Completely unprocessed, straight out of camera. You can see the final results in my flickr

It's not as sharp as my 300F2.8 with a 2x fitted

That's it - just for you - I've now got to save and get the 300mm f2.8 M2! ;)

Seriously though for unedited shots the image quality looks perfectly usable to my eye - a bit of sharpening and for most uses it should be totally fine. Granted its not the most easy of combos to use and good weather is going to be key to getting a good result (not just good light but a low haze as well), but for 1200mm its good.
It would be interesting to see how well the canon 600mm fairs in a similar test - though honestly I'd expect about the same level of performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back