Review my Self Shot Portrait

Olympus E300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fsharpphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, it has been WAY to long since I've posted anything here. It's been equally as long since I've picked up my camera. I feel like I'm starting all over and right from the beginning again but that's what having kids does to a person - robs them of free time. Anyway, I've slowly been putting my makeshift studio back together again and last night I wanted to setup for a self portrait. It was getting late (or should I say early) and even though I'm not 100% satisfied with the result, I thought that I would post my better shot for your reviews and comments. Don't hold back your punches, be honest! I know that I missed my focus slightly and that really irks me! Also realize that the border sucks, so lets not comment about that. Outside of that, I'm fairly happy with the overall "flavour". Opinions? Suggestions? Hate mail? It's all welcome!

Cheers!
- Daniel

Self Shot Portrait

Date: December 5th
Time: 1:22AM

Camera: Olympus E-3
Lens: Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5

Focal Length: 28mm
F/Stop: 5.6
ISO: 100
Exposure Time: 1/250 sec.

Inspiration: Self portrait

Post Production:
- Increased saturation slightly.
- Decreased exposure slightly.
- Added border.

This looks great, I like the way you faded it to black at the bottom and the placement of the pipe and Guinness. What you could try doing it retaking the photo but in sepia? It'd give a more oldy worldy look to it, especially with the pipe. Great work though :)

The Beginner's forum description was changed back in March and is no longer a C&C or photo gallery forum.

So, per the Beginner's forum description, I have moved the thread for you.

I would suggest that having your face on a ROT power point would make the composition stronger.

I would expect the Guinness to be closer at hand than the pipe, and the camera position somewhat higher.

Last edited:
I like it. There is good balance, interesting points and lines, I love the background, very good lighting.

Any particular reason that we don't see your left hand or arm? Any particular reason that you are not looking into the lens?

First off, I appologize KmH for posting in the incorrect forum. I shall not do that again. Thank you for moving it though, I do appreciate it. You're correct in that the rules have changed since my last visit.

Secondly thank you for the critique. To answer reply to a few comments, I positioned the Guinness to the far right of frame in an effor tot balance the frame a little. I initially had it closer at hand, however, felt that this created an odd shape to the frame. If we were at the pub, however, you would be correct in assuming that my Guinness would be closer to me than the pipe (lol). While I do typically try to work within the ROT, for no reason other than my long legs and trying to create a sense of "size" from a difficult angle - I did not. Good advice and I agree with you KmH that it would create a stronger personal pressence tp have my face on ROT. Now, to answer your questions Designer : you don't see my left hand because its working my wireless trigger. The long hair hides my left shoulder and I think that it creates a sense of something missing. After looking the shot over again, I can see what you're talking about here. As for the fade-to-black at the bottom of the frame, that was a intentional. Everyone always says to avoid cutting off limbs. In this case my muslin was hung about 2" from the floor and if I panned the camera down any further it would have showed. So, in a nut shell, the fade-to-black is an effort to "cut off" a limb without doing it abruptly. I actually think that it works in this case. As far as looking into the lens goes, I was attempting to create a sense of singularity. As if the subject was content to be alone and enjoy a beer in the old rocking chair. I'm not sure I achieved that but it is what I was going after.

Thanks for the response folks! It is greatly appreciated!! Keep them coming... And so again about my faux pas KmH!

Boy it feels good to pick up that camera again!

I'm not going to say I don't like the photo, but I'll give you the first thing that comes to mind as a viewer:

Guy sitting in front of a muslin with his favorite props, trying not to look at a camera he knows is there.

I think there's just something about you not looking at the camera that doesn't work for me: candid pose in a staged environment.
Candid pose in candid setting, or staged pose in staged setting.. but here mixing the two is throwing me off; the fact that you aren't engaging the viewer with your eyes is a distraction.

That's just me.. :)

I, for one, think the fade to black in the lower frame is good.

As for your general pose, it seems "stilted" to me. Kind of a self-conscious effort to appear relaxed that makes you seem not relaxed instead.

Maybe you need to loosen up a bit. That beer needs to be your second one. :mrgreen:

Then as for your left arm, why not place both hands on your lap, concealing the radio remote in the lower hand.

And go ahead and look into the lens.

I don't think the border is doing you any favors here. It reminds me of those inspirational posters, like Inspiration, or Perseverance.

You have amazing hair. dayum.

Overall, I'd say I wish there was more shadow variable on your face. Since it's so evenly lit, it makes your face somewhat flat.

I think you nailed the skin tones, so many people do terrible pixel-crunching things to skin tones and you've kept it nice.

Artistically and technically, self-portraits are a challenge, big time. I'm assuming your message is for the photo to tell us something about yourself. I'd ask some art school questions like, 'what does this say about me and who I'm about?' Questions like that will let you edit the piece when it comes to props, the way you're sitting, your environment, how much environment (negative space) needs to be shown, how much of your body needs to be shown. In the end, less is usually more. I'd urge you to show only what's vital to the message of your piece.

OK...So I reshot with a different composition. Does this work better in anyone's opinion? The original shot is first, the reshoot second.

ORIGINAL

RESHOOT

Date: December 6th
Time: 1:22AM

Camera: Olympus E-3
Lens: Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5

Focal Length: 28mm
F/Stop: 4.0
ISO: 100
Exposure Time: 1/250 sec.

Cheers!
- Daniel