Richmond Blues

sashbar

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I saw a street musician today, made 10 shots, came home and realised that I actually missed it: each and every shot has its flaws and I failed to capture "that moment".
I have never shot musicians before and today I learned that there are several things I had to watch for.
What do you watch for when you shoot a performing guitarist? Which of my shots here are better in your opinion? Thanks.

1/
$Richmond Blues 4 DSC_6090.jpg

2/
$Richmond Blues  2 DSC_6099.jpg

3/
$Richmond Blues 3 DSC_6084.jpg

Last edited:
OP
sashbar

sashbar

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Probably this one..
5/

$Richmond Blues 8.1 DSC_6103.jpg

Last edited:

gregtallica

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
This one is probably a big obvious that you noticed as soon as you got them on your comp - get that music stand out of the way. It blocks so much of the shot.

Other tips people always give - try not to crop guitar headstocks, elbows, things like that. Your #3 and #4 shots would be great if you stepped to the right a few steps to get that music stand out of the way, and opened up just a hair to get the full guitar, or at least the whole portion of the body.

OP
sashbar

sashbar

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
This one is probably a big obvious that you noticed as soon as you got them on your comp - get that music stand out of the way. It blocks so much of the shot.

Other tips people always give - try not to crop guitar headstocks, elbows, things like that. Your #3 and #4 shots would be great if you stepped to the right a few steps to get that music stand out of the way, and opened up just a hair to get the full guitar, or at least the whole portion of the body.

Thanks, agree - chopped elbows and guitar neck was what I was really disappointed with. i also realised that when he is staring at the sheet music he does not look interesting. When he looks at his guitar neck it changes all.

OP
sashbar

sashbar

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would rather you had been a few feet to the right so the stand isn't in the way.

Agree, it is so obvious now. But somehow I completely overlooked it, trying to get a decent background.

Last edited:

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Photos NOT OK to edit

gregtallica

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Keep one of these on your cell phone or card or something for next time you see something like this - kind of to remember all the "nots"

Most reactions

ClickASnap