I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Return of the King, Extended Edition...any thoughts?

I watched it last night...I'll need to watch it again to soak up the full effects of the additions. Here are some thoughts so far...

Mouth of Sauron; I like that he is now in the movie and he's a cool new character but I think that he was too twitchy. His movements were too spastic...I always thought of him as a slow deliberate character. Maybe it was the overly large helmet that made his quick movements look funny...along with him always "showing off" of his mouth & teeth.

The star that Sam sees in Mordor is great.

Aragorn challenging Sauron via the Palantir...I liked it.

Frodo & Sam having to march with the orcs; I thought it was great. This should have been in the first cut.

Houses of the Healing; another good addition although I wish they could have expanded on the "black breath" concept. I would really liked to have watched a scene where Merry staggers back to the city by himself when he should have been heralded as a hero.

The one scene that I was really looking forward to was Gandalf's confrontation with the Witch King. Seeing it was rather disappointing. It made Gandalf out as a weakling who just fell down when confronted. I feel that PJ did this too often though out the trilogy. I think it would have been more suspenseful if Gandalf & the W.K. were just about to really square off when they are interrupted by my favorite scene...the ride of the Rohirim.

The additions in the Paths of the dead were OK but not great. The companions confronting the boats was pretty good though. However, the black ships still did not get the ominous effect that they have in the book. Everyone in the city should see them and despair until the last minute when Aragorn & company jump out.

They finally kill off the orc general. I still think his very existence in the movie is questionable but at least he does not just disappear in the new version.

Overall, I think most of the additions were for people like me...who read and love the books. Can't complain about that.

Didn't see it and don't really plan too. Think they're great movies just can't sit still that long :lol: Anyway, I would like to know, does Frodo die??? How does it all end...because I know lots of folks that have seen it, but no one will tell me :twisted:

eromallagadnama said:
Didn't see it and don't really plan too. Think they're great movies just can't sit still that long :lol: Anyway, I would like to know, does Frodo die??? How does it all end...because I know lots of folks that have seen it, but no one will tell me :twisted:

Everybody dies.....

Eventually. :twisted:

Just rent it...you can pause it whenever you want...then you don't have to sit that long.

Or better yet...just read the book.

I think it would be a very fun rental. Thanks for all the info on that, Mike! :D I want to see it.

Can't wait to see it! For the last two Michael has brought home a data projector and screen from work, so we can watch it like 5 or 6 feet big with a bunch of friends. Gotta figure out when we're gonna do it!

If everyone dies that kind of bites!!! Maybe eventually I will...

I bought it for the bf (the whole set) for xmas...and then he asked me if I wanted it for xmas and had to steer him away...I tried to do it without him realizing that I had gotten it for himself...then he mentioned something about buying it for himself and I had to remind him that he was NOT ALLOWED to buy ANYTHING for himself until after xmas...then he says, "You got the extended version, right?" Grrrrr...punk. Took all the fun out of the surprise. When he opens it up, I am SO yelling at him!

oriecat said:
Can't wait to see it! For the last two Michael has brought home a data projector and screen from work, so we can watch it like 5 or 6 feet big with a bunch of friends. Gotta figure out when we're gonna do it!

Now, that's hella cool. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back