Rufous/Allen Hummingbird

wackii

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided to head back to the park after a few months to shoot some hummingbirds. I can't tell if this is a Rufous or Allen Hummingbird (unable to see the tail's feather). Anyway, I got a few shots as a keeper. It was extremely hard to shoot at 1/100 at 600mm handheld. I didn't want to bump up ISO due to noise (just don't like noisy pix). I think I fired quite a few shots and got about 15 keepers. These are a few of them... I didn't get any feeding shots of them (angle was bad and against the sun). I will try next time. I did try out the off camera remote today and it did not work out as I planned. I placed my camera on the tripod and pre-focused the little branch (just like in shot #1 and #4). I did not realize that when the hummie landed on it, it will sagged down due to the weight... Those shots were off on focus and tail got cut-off... Oh well, learned something today :)

$Rufous Hummingbird-1 resized.jpg
$Rufous Hummingbird-2 resized.jpg
$Rufous Hummingbird-9 resized.jpg
$Rufous Hummingbird-11 resized.jpg

Wow, awesome shots very cool bird.

Very nice! I've been shooting these guys in my backyard all weekend. Got some nice shots, but nothing as sharp and clear as these. I may post some later.

Very impressive, especially for handheld 600mm at 1/100th. Nice smooth backgrounds, too.

Love that #4, super cute. Good sharpness where it counts, and that buttery smooth background...

These are clear beautiful shots. Lovely birds. I cannot help you with the ID of these, sorry.

Thanks, IzzieK.

Wow, awesome shots very cool bird.

Thanks, Radical.

Great set. Outstanding color and detail

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Robbins.

Very nice! I've been shooting these guys in my backyard all weekend. Got some nice shots, but nothing as sharp and clear as these. I may post some later.

Thanks, Baturn. Please share. I normally stand still and observe these little guys for about half hour before I start to position myself base on the angle of the light and so forth. It takes about an hour before I start snap some shots as these little guys are quite fast and shy.

I like #4 the best Wackii. Just had a conversation in regards to Allens and Rufous. They are hard to distinguish as you have found out.

Rufous*vs.*Allen?s | Life, Birds, and Everything

Thanks JacaRanda. Yeah, I can't tell which is which unless I see the tail, even then I don't even know if I can tell... I also like #4 the way it poses.

Very impressive, especially for handheld 600mm at 1/100th. Nice smooth backgrounds, too.

Thanks, Eclectix. I was testing a few shot and surprised that I was able to get quite sharp at that shutter speed, so I keep the ISO as is...

Love that #4, super cute. Good sharpness where it counts, and that buttery smooth background...

Thanks, fokker.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back