Rugged Tripod Suggustions?

You know. Unless you're shooting with circa 1965 8x10 monorail, a $600+ tripod is going to be WAY overkill.

I don't think this is always true.

Yeah. I just kind of assumed that these legs were rated at like 50lb too.

I'm not sure what to make of this though. They're only rated at 8.8lb - at $1000, I'd hope that is conservative. I'm sure though the other features are great.

One thing to be aware of, is that there really isn't much of a standard in terms of tripod or head weight ratings.

as far as that goes, I think head choice makes a much bigger difference than legs, provided we're not talking a like the Sunpaks at Bestbuy.

I have no doubt that I could be wrong.

I don't think this is always true.

Yeah. I just kind of assumed that these legs were rated at like 50lb too.

I'm not sure what to make of this though. They're only rated at 8.8lb - at $1000, I'd hope that is conservative. I'm sure though the other features are great.

One thing to be aware of, is that there really isn't much of a standard in terms of tripod or head weight ratings.

This is true. I read an interesting article on I think the Markins website (head manufacturer), about how resistance to torque is more important a measure than weight capacity anyway. You want to make sure the legs can't twist or flex under an unbalanced heavy lens, or on a windy day.

The one advantage though, to legs rated at say 50lb, is that you can hang your gear bag from the center column to increase stability. I don't think those manufacturers expect people to put a 50lb camera on it, but an 10lb camera with 40lbs of ballast is a really stable setup.

Interesting discussion, and thanks for that article Big Mike. Nice to know I'm not the only one to buy a crud tripod.

Well I got the Ocean Traveller. Sturdy and light. Will be trying it out in the back country of Zion this weekend.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but has anyone else built one? Or atleast know where to buy the telescoping legs by themselves?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but has anyone else built one? Or atleast know where to buy the telescoping legs by themselves?

take a look at how old wooden tripods were assembled, this is prob a much better option for DIYers.

Wooden? :lol:
I don't really have the equipment to make the legs, not to mention it's probably not worth the cost. But with access to lathes, mills, tig welders, plasma cutter, and drill presses I shouldn't have any problem making the rest. Just no sense in making the head, and other attachments if theres no legs to put it on.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have the money then it's always bet to get a strong sturdy tripod - however if the budget doesn't allow it you can always attach heavy objects to a cheaper version (so long as you're not moving around much). Attach a bag with a couple of rocks underneath the tripod head - that will keep it in place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back