Rumor: Another full frame Nikon DSLR camera coming for Phiotokina (08/08/2014)

I've been wanting the 24mp sensor in a better body (better AF, expeed 4, etc) for some time. I would upgrade my D700 to that in a heartbeat.
That is what this body sounds like, a truly upgraded D700 and what many shooters are really wanting in an FX body.

Not denying that.. but I guess just looking at it from a marketing standpoint if I just released a brand new full frame camera not long ago, why would I release another so soon afterwards that will compete for sales with the one I just released?

I think it would make a lot more sense for them to release either a D7100 or even a D300 crop sensor replacement, as opposed to another full frame camera that will be competing directly in much the same market space. Like I said, could be wrong, but it really doesn't seem to make sense to me that they would do that.

Indeed. Either way, please make it have at least 8-10 frames per second.... so it could be a D300/D700 replacement.

Any new release gives more choice, and possibly a better chance of upgrading for some in the secondhand market, due all those that absolutely need the very newest model trading there barely used cameras. All good

D700 upgrade, please. 24MP is what I'm wanting also, and at least 8 frame per second.

More rumors:

The upcoming Nikon full frame DSLR will be marketed as an "action" camera | Nikon Rumors

The upcoming Nikon full frame DSLR will be marketed as an “action” camera

By [NR] ADMIN | Published: AUGUST 11, 2014
The upcoming full frame Nikon DSLR camera will not be a replacement for the current D610 model (the D610 was not an upgrade to the D600, just a fix for the sensor oil/spot issue). Nikon will continue to sell the D610 after the new camera is announced. What I am hearing is that this new DSLR will not be part of the D6xx product line and will be marketed as an "action" camera (the promotional material will involve skaters - probably high-speed action shots and video).

The big question for now remains the focusing system, but I doubt Nikon will ruin an "action" camera with 39 AF points and believe that they will include the better 51 AF points system from the D810/D4s (that's just my opinion, I have no info on the focusing system yet). I also expect a higher fps rate than the D610/D810 and improved video recording capabilities.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: The upcoming Nikon full frame DSLR will be marketed as an "action" camera | Nikon Rumors

Looks like the D700 and the D300s will have a joint upgrade, on FF.
Let's wait and see...

Last edited:
This could actually make it interesting for me. Hypothetically, D610 IQ plus improvements in ISO, throw in the D4S AF system and 8-10 FPS with a good buffer and I would be all over it... If it's just a D610 with a flippy screen and video improvements..... no thanks

This could be well up your alley here coastalconn.

More rumors:

The upcoming Nikon full frame DSLR will be marketed as an "action" camera | Nikon Rumors

The upcoming Nikon full frame DSLR will be marketed as an “action” camera

By [NR] ADMIN | Published: AUGUST 11, 2014
The upcoming full frame Nikon DSLR camera will not be a replacement for the current D610 model (the D610 was not an upgrade to the D600, just a fix for the sensor oil/spot issue). Nikon will continue to sell the D610 after the new camera is announced. What I am hearing is that this new DSLR will not be part of the D6xx product line and will be marketed as an "action" camera (the promotional material will involve skaters - probably high-speed action shots and video).

The big question for now remains the focusing system, but I doubt Nikon will ruin an "action" camera with 39 AF points and believe that they will include the better 51 AF points system from the D810/D4s (that's just my opinion, I have no info on the focusing system yet). I also expect a higher fps rate than the D610/D810 and improved video recording capabilities.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: The upcoming Nikon full frame DSLR will be marketed as an "action" camera | Nikon Rumors

Looks like the D700 and the D300s will have a joint upgrade, on FF.
Let's wait and see...

Fingers crossed!!!! I'm a D300 & D700 owner who doesn't want a D610 or D810, yet.... I'm spoiled with 8 frames per second and I want that or more with my next big purchase.
Come on Nikon.... bust out with the D710, please!!!!

This could actually make it interesting for me. Hypothetically, D610 IQ plus improvements in ISO, throw in the D4S AF system and 8-10 FPS with a good buffer and I would be all over it... If it's just a D610 with a flippy screen and video improvements..... no thanks

This could be well up your alley here coastalconn.
Perhaps it will be :) I have a funny feeling it will be mirrorless. maybe not, who knows, but I am certainly intrigued and in a holding pattern for sure...

If it is a FF mirrorless with the F mount for the current FX lenses, Nikon will score many many points with many people out there...

If it is a FF mirrorless with the F mount for the current FX lenses, Nikon will score many many points with many people out there...

Why is a mirrorless a good thing?

I don't see why. (I could be wrong on this but this is how I understand it). In order to use your lenses the same way you do now they will have to be mounted the same distance from the sensor as they are now. Therefore taking away the mirror won't have any benefit. The design to be of any benefit would require a new lens system with an adapter for existing lenses. Seems like a lot of hoping for a new system, when all this type of thing can be done with existing cameras such as gsgary aforementioned A7

If they use a DSLR kind of body, leaving a hallow space for the FX F mount lenses, with no mirror, and a EVF instead, it would be possible. It would have the same DSLR feel, possibly lighter, with new/better AF system, and with the speed of a mirrorless camera, where FPS could go up easily. It would be a fusion camera.

But having said that with an "if" in the beginning of the sentence, I believe that won't be the case still, once that could spoil the V1 system and promote its premature death. It wouldn't make sense from a market perspective. So a new traditional DSLR may be coming soon. We will find it out until next month.

But how can you have a viewfinder if the mirror goes? Will the viewfinder simply be a digital screen?

But how can you have a viewfinder if the mirror goes? Will the viewfinder simply be a digital screen?

They do it with mirrorless already, all the time, in tiny bodies. They would just replace the pentaprism by the EVF mechanism.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back