*Sad*...may not keep my 80-200, 2.8:(.

kalliela

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I got the lens, it's absolutely beautiful. It's just so incredibly bulky and heavy that it's harder than heck for me to stabilize the lens. Weight adds more shake, imo, it moves all around. Lower light..I just get a lot of camera shake. Way more than my 55-200 VR, cheaper kit lens. I wanted a telephoto that I could hand hold in lower light and have good pics. I know..but it's not always practical to use a tripod. I don't get why this is used for indoor, low light events. Events mean that tripods aren't always handy, a lot of times you will miss a shot. I need a fast, event lens. Dang, my lens is in mint condition. I may sell it but Ebay kills with fees. I can't do 'da grip' with this lens..it's just too heavy..and idk if it's my physique..but if I nudge the camera on my collar bone...I can't see through the view finder. I like have to put the dang camera on top of my shoulder to see through the viewfinder. That's no good. I will lose a lot of money on this as reselling something, this always is the case. I am just sad...this lens just isn't for me and I cannot afford that dang 70-200 VR, no way. For events, this just isn't practical for me. Would adding a vertical grip help? I don't even know what that is. Ugh. Plus, that's more weight...weight, for me, doesn't help stabilize...it shakes all over the place:(. And no, I don't have the receipt, I bought it from a seller who had the same problem..only used it one time indoors and wanted to get a 70-200 VR instead. I get what he means now.

*sad*.....I have a like a mint lens, that has never even seen the outdoors..and is an orphan now.

What about a monopod? That's what I use with my 70-200mm Tamron because I have the same issue. Someday I'll be able to afford the Nikon with VR.

You could try a monopod ....

Edit ... Three people with a single thought at the same time.

I cannot afford VR lenses either except for my kit 18-105VR, but now I use a monopod. They are fairly cheap used / eBay.
I've thought of buying a 18-140 VR lens but those are new and none are on the used market. The 18-200 has some issues I don't really want to deal with even though they are fairly cheap.

But I have the same problem you are mentioning with my heavier 28-85 f/2.8 - 4.0 lens
There was a thread where I asked about stability .. let me find it as it was really helpful

Ya, I thought about getting a mono..it's just I will still miss pictures, I may not the the shots..cause I would constantly be having to adjust the camera on a mono. I missed a lot of shots using low light before on moving objects using a tripod. Not sure if a mono would be much help. I think a fixed 180 mm or 135mm may be a better bet for me. Idk, there is no VR on those either. Dang lenses, so expensive!!

*sad*

Whoa,whoa,whoa!!! Hold the phone here! This sounds like a technique issue...your collarbone issue makes me wonder what the heck is going on. I'm reasonably certain that you're simply not gripping and supporting the camera and lens properly. Perhaps a bit of technique adjustment from an experienced photographer will show you what's going wrong.

Just a fr'instance: take the camera neck strap and wrap it twice around your right hand, and "cinch" the strap tightly, in effect sort of doing what is called "welding the camera to the right hand". Then, put the left palm under the lens, at the mid-point of the lens. Take a decent stance, feet shoulder width apart, take in a breath, let part of it out, and SHOOT!

The twice-around-the-hand with the neckstrap ALONE is worth two shutter speeds slower hand-holding...

What shutter speeds are you trying to acquire at 200mm?

There is always the 70-200 f4 vr, but maybe out of your price range. Its lighter than the 2.8 glass, and basically just as sharp.

I still think a non vr version should be fine to 1/80 sec at 200 mm or even less if done properly

I watched 'da grip'...perhaps I am doing something wrong, though, I thought I watched that video like 4 times now.

I have the 55-200 f/4 VR, not sure why I would get a 70-200 VR f/4..I don't see the point in that..but thanks though:).

I think some events I would be doing would be fairly low light..I am not sure what shutter speeds I would need.

Depressing this all is.

Meh, should I get the 18-140 3.5 VR? Meh, I want a 2.8 f/stop or bigger. Or there's the 18-200 3.5 VR...I have heard some negative stuff about that one...not sure if that would be fast enough. Meh, depressing.

Last edited:
My advice:

1 ) the "Da grip" method only works with a big camera, you need a battery/vertical grip to give you that extra distance on the bottom of the camera that you will need (on a side comment vertical grips are fantastic to have since they make shooting portrait aspect shots vastly easier to shoot).

2) Stick with the lens longer, weight can feel shocking on those f2.8 lenses - as can the big front elements be scary to have. That said keep at it - most people can (with regular use) grow strong enough and used to shooting with such a lens. I started with a 70-200mm f2.8 and yeah it was big and very heavy - but with regular use, practice and more practice I got used to it.

A monopod might also seriously help you, light and quick to use they let you take the weight off your arms and let the pod carry the weight.

I just went and watched the video you're talking about, and I have a question. Are you using the second technique he describes where the longer lens is resting on his hand, instead of having both hands on the body?

And you don't have to use the monopod all the time. It's a technique of moving around with it. I'm finding it good for my kids soccer. I have a Slik 381/382 Carbon Fiber one and it is "light" and doesn't flex. But I have to get used to using it, and I can lift up and just shoot regularly too as it is just so light. FYI, I also tried a Slik Pro aluminum and that was way too heavy but super duper sturdy.

Ya, I thought about getting a mono..it's just I will still miss pictures, I may not the the shots..cause I would constantly be having to adjust the camera on a mono. I missed a lot of shots using low light before on moving objects using a tripod. Not sure if a mono would be much help. I think a fixed 180 mm or 135mm may be a better bet for me. Idk, there is no VR on those either. Dang lenses, so expensive!!

*sad*
You are missing a lot more shots now by not using it, and will be missing many more by not having it if you sell it.

Put things in perspective, that is really not a "Big" lens. It weighs 2.86 pounds and my Sigma 150-50 weighs 4.19 pounds. I shoot it handheld frequently. I haul it through the woods and around lakes just about every weekend. As others have said, just learn to use it if it's what you want to use.

I just went and watched the video you're talking about, and I have a question. Are you using the second technique he describes where the longer lens is resting on his hand, instead of having both hands on the body?

I am of course putting one hand under the lens..it needs support. I have a D7100, need weight balance. I did notice that Da Grip guy indeed had a vertical grip from what I saw..he should have mentioned this works better with a vertical grip. I may look into that. This lens is just so dang bulky and heavy though..not terribly practical for me.

Also, I am *such* a klutz..I can totally see me dropping that thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back