*Sad*...may not keep my 80-200, 2.8:(.

Increasing the weight of the camera actually helps - whilst the whole setup ends up a bit heavier, the added weight to the back of the setup means that it helps balances around your arm a bit more (more weight at the back means the camera leans more into your body, instead of away at the end of the front element).

Increasing the weight of the camera actually helps - whilst the whole setup ends up a bit heavier, the added weight to the back of the setup means that it helps balances around your arm a bit more (more weight at the back means the camera leans more into your body, instead of away at the end of the front element).

Very good point there.

Sounds like something you will slowly overcome as you use it more and practice. Don't give up. Keep shooting!

I hand held my 500 f4 for a day at the zoo, non vr version and got great sharp shots. Lens was 7.5lbs. I also handhold my new 500 vr lens 8.5lb although the vr does help. So most likely practice will help you.

Zoo photos taken hand held with a non vr 500mm f4 on overcast day.

http://www.orselliphoto.com/rb_zoo.php

I agree with Derrel that something must be wrong with your technique. Generally, extra weight equates to more stability. I shoot with the 70-200 a lot and have never had camera shake issues. On the other hand, I've been told by other experienced photographers I've shot with that my steadiness is eerie.

Basically, I suggest to let your left hand support the lens/weight, and use the right for positioning and aiming. Don't hold your breath. Breathe out and shoot at the end of your exhale.

I probably won't keep it, just not practical.

Does it matter if one gets a generic battery grip? Nikon ones are like over 200 bucks, that's just crazy. Ugh.

Last edited:
you have to do your research on which generic battery grip is best. I think Adorama sells a house brand - Flashpoint - which is pretty good.
I just shot my kids soccer game with my monopod. It is nice an light and I never really had an issue of thinking it added weight. Of the time I stood up it of course came with me :) But working with a monopod is easier than I thought.

Of course my lens is small by comparison.

Can't and don't want to tell you what to do. However some time before a big decision never hurts.

I agree with what has been said, without seeing an example of the problems, I'd have to say its most likely a technique problem, its not a VR lens so you won't get the benefit of that (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it forces you to improve your technique and correct the root of the problem rather than relying on the VR as a bandaid), the advice that has been mentioned about technique is good, also pull your elbows in next to your body, and don't hold your breath when you press the shutter, kneel down onto one knee and make make yourself into a tripod if possible...also make sure you understand the exposure triangle so you can adjust the settings properly in order to keep your shutter speed up properly....a monopod can help, but I don't think it would really be needed unless you're shooting in a very very dark place, like a cave, or if you'll be shooting for a long period of time and want to use it to take some weight off. but people handhold lenses MUCH heavier, and much more telephoto than that 80-200 and create excellent shots without issues. that doesn't mean they didn't practice and work on their technique, but it takes time.

if you're thinking of selling it because of financial reasons, thats one thing. but selling it because you don't want to improve your technique is something else...

post up some examples though, with what settings you're using too.

The thing I'm confused about is that you are missing action shots. To me it sounds like your shutter speed isn't high enough. Have you bumped your ISO at all? I shoot a Tokina 300 F2.8 that weighs in around 6.5 pounds and has no VR. It was hard at first, but I only shoot it handheld, often in not very good light.. If you go back to your kit lens, your shutter speed will be even lower. Can you post an example with exif intact?

I agree with what has been said, without seeing an example of the problems, I'd have to say its most likely a technique problem, its not a VR lens so you won't get the benefit of that (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it forces you to improve your technique and correct the root of the problem rather than relying on the VR as a bandaid), the advice that has been mentioned about technique is good, also pull your elbows in next to your body, and don't hold your breath when you press the shutter, kneel down onto one knee and make make yourself into a tripod if possible...also make sure you understand the exposure triangle so you can adjust the settings properly in order to keep your shutter speed up properly....a monopod can help, but I don't think it would really be needed unless you're shooting in a very very dark place, like a cave, or if you'll be shooting for a long period of time and want to use it to take some weight off. but people handhold lenses MUCH heavier, and much more telephoto than that 80-200 and create excellent shots without issues. that doesn't mean they didn't practice and work on their technique, but it takes time.

if you're thinking of selling it because of financial reasons, thats one thing. but selling it because you don't want to improve your technique is something else...

post up some examples though, with what settings you're using too.

I think we typed at the same exact time and the OP is missing what we are saying...

One bit of advice many pick up is to "keep the ISO as low as possible" which tends to translate to people thinking that ISO100 is where they have to start with every exposure. This is great for landscape or studio portraits but for some subjects or situations its a very wrong way to start and will hamper your shooting. For sports, wildlife or general action you'll want to start at ISO 400 or even ISO 800 unless its a very bright day. That's because you need that fast shutter speed, 1/400sec at the least - 1/500sec ideal starting point. Otherwise you'll introduce blur from your subject moving.

There are shifts in that, if you're panning a shot you can go slower (you'll get blur on moving wheels or legs, but the overall body will be sharp) .

Thanks guys, I am glad I didn't list it for sale. I think my holding was a bit off, I didn't know how to balance the weight. You guys were right, I just am not used to something big like that, only kit lenses...and my super light nifty fifty. It's so heavy and big but..

I will be keeping my lens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *yay*.

Thanks guys, I think I just needed to shoot with it for a while.

I think adding a grip will be good too. I ordered a cheapo one off Ebay.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back