Safe and Sound

HoangDuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really love that song. So i want to take some pics so peaceful, sad, and quiet. I take my friend go to a forest, and take those picture.

Hope you like it. I use canon 550D
7007135568_70a561ebc2_z.jpg
7153224941_70a8eda3d6_z.jpg

One simple "rule" of a peaceful image is to allow more space for the subject to look into than there is behind the subject...the way you did in the second photo--that creates a peaceful photo.

Shot #1 is FILLED with visual tension, because the model is looking to the "short side" of the frame, AND has a black stick sticking out of the head...ergo, shot #1 is not peaceful....but shot #2 is peaceful.

thank you, i don't know so much about technique or skill on photography, and i donl't care about them, just use my emotion, i feel satisfy with my photos. Thank for comment.

these two are a bit of a miss for me, but have potential. I'd try to shoot with this model again, he[?] has a very interesting look.

Last edited:
these two are a bit of a mis fo rme, but have potential. I'd try to with with this model again, he[?] has a very interesting look.
Agree; what really bothers me in #1 is the tree(?) which appears to grow out of his head.

HoangDuy said:
thank you, i don't know so much about technique or skill on photography, and i donl't care about them, just use my emotion, i feel satisfy with my photos. Thank for comment.

I've seen several of your photographs recently, each one with a good location, and a good model, and it's apparent that you have decent post-processing skills, but absolutely no sense of compositional principles or ideas. I've seen two of your photos that are ruined by bad compositional mistakes. You have most things in place, but you need to study how composition "works". I would suggest looking at some web pages from painters who write about composition. Earlier this week, I spent about two hours reading composition articles written by painters. You have HUGE potential, but your sense of composing, and how to use the space of a camera frame is obviously self-taught, and you're making very beginner-type mistakes, which is a shame. You are not using the language of visual communication very well...you have almost ALL of the other puzzle pieces in place.

You feel "satisfied" and you "don't care" about technique or skill? When I look at your photos, I can tell you have not studied composition at all. This saddens me, because you have the most potential I have seen in a beginner in a long,long time, yet you consistently frame things so they lose impact. I've spent 40 years actively analyzing photographs, every day. It's easy to see people with potential. You have it, but you state that "you don't care" about either technique, or skill, and are already "satisfied". That is sad. You could be great.

Last edited:
Personally the composition doesn't bother me but the tree branches is a killer. Interesting model for sure.I like the profile of #1 the best,just not the tree.

I think they are both good. I would like the first one more if the angle were slightly different, maybe shooting more at the front of the model so the branch doesn't look like it's coming out if his head. Not straight/head on to the model but just a little smidge towards his front.

HoangDuy said:

I've seen several of your photographs recently, each one with a good location, and a good model, and it's apparent that you have decent post-processing skills, but absolutely no sense of compositional principles or ideas. I've seen two of your photos that are ruined by bad compositional mistakes. You have most things in place, but you need to study how composition "works". I would suggest looking at some web pages from painters who write about composition. Earlier this week, I spent about two hours reading composition articles written by painters. You have HUGE potential, but your sense of composing, and how to use the space of a camera frame is obviously self-taught, and you're making very beginner-type mistakes, which is a shame. You are not using the language of visual communication very well...you have almost ALL of the other puzzle pieces in place.

You feel "satisfied" and you "don't care" about technique or skill? When I look at your photos, I can tell you have not studied composition at all. This saddens me, because you have the most potential I have seen in a beginner in a long,long time, yet you consistently frame things so they lose impact. I've spent 40 years actively analyzing photographs, every day. It's easy to see people with potential. You have it, but you state that "you don't care" about either technique, or skill, and are already "satisfied". That is sad. You could be great.

Dear Mr Derrel, fist i want to say the truth that those photo i was took 3 year ago, when i just have my first camera. In my reply, i mean in that time, i just have my emotion and feeling, i satisfy with my photo in that time.
I agree that the skillm, knowledge and experience is important too. And i still learn everyday, i want to be a photographer, so i will try everyday, thank you for your comment, i'll notice about the technique, the frame, an try. Thank you alot, and sorry about my comment, i... mayby, selfish and arrogant a little, i'm still young, i'm so sorry about this. And please still comment for my photos, and teach me more. Thank you.

Most reactions

Back