Saving in Photoshop

PNA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks....I have PScs2 am bedazzaled with can be done to a photo!

Here's the issue....having a d70 and shooting in the raw format (nef) I use Bridge to view which to import into PS. First it goes to Camera Raw then to PS as a nef file. Of course I can save in while in CR to a JEP file, but i'd rather do whatever editing in PS. After editing in PS, I want to save it as a JPG file to use wherever, but PS only allows for their formats, with TIFF, and only the new JPEG2000.
Question: how, what, do I need to do to save that NEF file into JPG directly from PS.
I hope this is clear.....I'm ready for any responce, please help.

Thanks, Paul

Moderator: Please post the wherever else you feel approiate.

Moderator: Please post the wherever else you feel approiate.
I believe I will. Over to the Graphics programs forum you shall go. :mrgreen:

Photoshop and every other image editor I've seen will save in JPG format. BTW, it's JPG or JPEG, not JEP, which I haven't heard of. Since JPG is lossy and you are shooting in RAW, in order to not lose data it's best to go from RAW to TIFF. Only save as a separate JPG after you are done editing and if you need one for the web or the lab you are printing at won't take TIFF.

markc said:
BTW, it's JPG or JPEG, not JEP, which I haven't heard of.
Sorry bout that....just a typing error, it is JPG.

markc said:
Photoshop and every other image editor I've seen will save in JPG format.
That's where the issue is, I cannot save a NEF imported file to JPG. Any suggestions???? Only the new JPEG200 shows up as a choice.

Paul

M-Terri: Thanks for the move

I also tried saving an NEF to TIFF as you suggested, than tried to save it to JPG...., but again only JPEG2000 is available in the save as box.

You probably have to change the mode. The image should be in 8-bit RGB right before saving. Otherwise the option may not be available. You could also try "save for web". I didn't think that went disabled and would convert for you, but I haven't worked with NEF images.

yea..... the solution should be converting it to 8bit before you save ;)

markc said:
You probably have to change the mode. The image should be in 8-bit RGB right before saving. Otherwise the option may not be available. You could also try "save for web". I didn't think that went disabled and would convert for you, but I haven't worked with NEF images.

That did it.....many thanks to you and Archangel.

Paul

Most reactions

New Topics

Back