Sayonara Nikon DSLRs?

cgw

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Nikon denies it but the Nikkei article does cite numbers that suggest poor growth prospects(and profits)for DSLRs compared to their MILC system.

Thanks for sharing. I have been very happy birding with my D850 / D500 combination for the last few years, but when I picked up a Z9 I got propelled into the future. I don't think I'll buy another dslr, (although I will not be getting rid of my D850 / D500 any time soon) so I can see why Nikon would want to put all it's efforts into mirrorless.

We all know the day will eventually be here. The newer generation coming along won’t remember shooting on a SLR. Maybe if they make enough on mirrorless they’ll put out some great, but massively expensive SLR’s to drool over

My understanding is that Nikon is discontinuing DSLR development, but continuing production of current models. Only a matter of time, and no one will be making DSLRs.

After shooting my z9 for the first time I will be selling my d5 and move fully to mirrorless

They can have them, I will stick with my S850 and D500 and every one of my F series Nikons until I can no longer find film. The battery life in my DSLR's is measured in DAYS (or even weeks) not HOURS.

They can have them, I will stick with my S850 and D500 and every one of my F series Nikons until I can no longer find film. The battery life in my DSLR's is measured in DAYS (or even weeks) not HOURS.
I'm a great fan of mirrorless - Voightlander Bessa L, R & R3M, Zeiss Ikon SW, Graflex XL, Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic, several folders, Koni Rapid Omega 100. However, I also enjoy using reflex cameras - Leicaflex SL & SL2, Lordomat, Nikon F series, Mamiya RB. Also the rangefinder cameras with a Visoflex.
Everyone should enjoy their photography, no matter what camera they prefer!

I'm a cheap old geezer, am happy with my D5600, and D500. Also have enough glass for them, so I guess I will be happy shooting with them for the foreseeable future.

It's called evolution, just like Nikon and most other camera manufacturers moved from rangefinder cameras to SLR's and then to DSLR'S, Nikon have obviously looked at the numbers and come to a decision to move R&D onto mirrorless, it's no good for any company to put money into a product that only sells in small numbers.

For those who prefer them, now is a good time to buy a new or used reflex camera. Lots available at decent prices as more and more folks switch to mirrorless.

I wish the DSLR lenses would drop in price. I need the Nikon 200-500 lens to replace a broken Tamron 150-600.

I'm a great fan of mirrorless - Voightlander Bessa L, R & R3M, Zeiss Ikon SW, Graflex XL, Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic, several folders, Koni Rapid Omega 100. However, I also enjoy using reflex cameras - Leicaflex SL & SL2, Lordomat, Nikon F series, Mamiya RB. Also the rangefinder cameras with a Visoflex.
Everyone should enjoy their photography, no matter what camera they prefer!
Take your images with tool of your choice! I still have (sadly gathering dust) my Koni Omega Rapid; it's had nearly 100 weddings under it's belt, and every once in a while use my Nikon F, F2, or FM. Having said that I also shoot with 3 different Fuji mirrorless.
My only problem with all of them---is me!! I don't get out to shoot as much as I used to. I have recently been giving myself "assignments" in the yard or close to home. That helps.

Here is the difference between the last evolution and this evolution:

The last evolution was film to digital. We literally had to move on as choice and services to make film convenient slowly went away. Of course we can still shoot film, but there are many limitations using film in 2022 compared to the 1990's.
So now it's DSLR to mirrorless. The big difference, this time there is no real need to move on if we do not wish. We obviously won't progress with newer camera technology but otherwise we are unaffected.

For myself, film cameras toward the end of the film era already had too much technology. I enjoy challenge, I enjoy working hard and with limitations to capture my images. A successful image under such circumstances gives me the greatest reward.

This time around on the evolution treadmill, the masses will leave DSLR's behind (happy travels!) but I am staying with DSLR's.
Unlike when I left film, I will forever stay happy! I am happier today than I have ever been knowing the silly photography tech roller-coaster has finally come to an end for me. I can just sit back and enjoy creating images for the rest of my days.

I am soooo ridiculously excited right now!

Let us face it it is just a response to the market and what the majority of (new) consumers are buying. Moreover mirrorless are more convenient to use; it is more technology with its pros and cons. Let us face it DSLRs look and sound clunky and the new generations need a screen to look at! ;o)

Let us face it it is just a response to the market and what the majority of (new) consumers are buying. Moreover mirrorless are more convenient to use; it is more technology with its pros and cons. Let us face it DSLRs look and sound clunky and the new generations need a screen to look at! ;o)
Well, bought my first Nikon in 1965, marched through several models since and kept my D780, and many lenses. I just recently (last year) tried a Fuji XT-2. Sold all Nikons and glass, more than happy with the Fuji. Also bought an X Pro 3.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back