sb600 being discontinued?

Micah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife is buying me a sb600 for my birthday, and I was wanting to buy local but my local shop, Columbia Photo and Video has been out of stock for a while. I called them today to ask if they had any in and the guy said something about the sb600 possibly being discontinued. I havent had much luck with this store, but he promised me a good price (199.00) a month ago when I talked to him. Should I just blow him off and buy from B&H like I usually do, or is there something new coming out that I need to consider?

I might as well live in Columbia. I work there. If you've seen them, I'm one of the guys who drives the plumbing vans with the picture on the drivers door to make it look like I'm on the crapper.I freaking hate it, but its a good company to work for. Thanks for the link. I think I agree with Del. I want my sb600 so I guess I'll buy online. Looks like they're hard to find.

You probably can't find one because everyone that would've bought the sb-800 doesn't want to pay 500 bucks for the sb-900 and is buying the sb-600 instead..

I might as well live in Columbia. I work there. If you've seen them, I'm one of the guys who drives the plumbing vans with the picture on the drivers door to make it look like I'm on the crapper.I freaking hate it, but its a good company to work for. Thanks for the link. I think I agree with Del. I want my sb600 so I guess I'll buy online. Looks like they're hard to find.
Yepp, I see that all the time.

I called a contact at Nikon and was told that the SB-600 will be discontinued, just not before 2010 at the earliest. There is no SB-600 replacement and I was also told that sales for the Sb-900 were *terrible*... so they are definitely not going to stop making a flash that is being sold off the shelves faster than they can make them.

This is just a supply and demand thing, nothing more.

Yeah that sounds more reasonable. And at $500 I dont doubt the 900 sales are sluggish.

Yeah, no.

What would they replace it with?

They might discontinue the 800, but not the 600. For a while.

i thought the sb800s have already been discontinued? i cant find them anywhere.

Yeah, they're gone for several months now. Sad, because the 800 was stronger than even the 900. If I could find 2-4 more used 800's in good condition and a fair price, I would jump on them soooooo fast. As it is, I will likely pickup 2 more SB-600s and then one 1000+ W/s monolight for some strong daylight strobing.

and to think that the sb-600's were $177 NEW last year this time. . .sigh. . .how time changes things!

They were $172US DELIVERED this year last time... I picked up 2 for that price. Between that and the 30-35% increase thanks to a weak Canadian dollar... disgusting.

I have a couple of those sb-600's and I love em. They have always been very reliable even living in the shadows of it's bigger more powerful brother the sb-800.

Most reactions

Back