Scanning medium format film

rob91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have the one the Nikon Coolscan V (35mm only) and i'm very happy with it but it's slow, the 9000 was more money that i wanted spend, so for MF I use an older Epson 4180 flaybed that just OK

i've head good thinks about the Epson V700 and Microtek ArtixScan M1

Thank you bhop. I like the quality you have there, the 4490 seems like a good choice.... and a wonderful price! I may actually start shooting color film if I get that.

Out of curiosity, ever scan 35mm with it?

I have a Microtek M1 Pro (among other scanners) and find that it has a true resolution of around 2000 ppi. If you want to print to high quality - the quality that MF film is capable of, and why I use it in preference to 35 mm - then the degree of enlargement is limited to about 6x, or preferably a little less. From what I have seen, the performance is slightly better than the Epson V750 in this respect.

The M1 allows you to scan film that is taped to the glass carrier (not the glass top plate) either wet or dry. This means that the light travels through the glass before it goes through the film, and there is no glass between the film and the sensor. You can also scan with the glassless carriers, but I have found that the quality is higher if you tape the film to the glass carrier. It's easy to do wet scans.

The M1's ability to cope with high density range is excellent, and it has no problem with the dense parts of the densest colour reversal films (Kodachrome and Velvia, typically). That means that it can scan most negative film and Scala quite easily.

It doesn't have ICE, which is a downer. Many Epsons do. Not having ICE isn't a problem with clean unscratched film, but it is an enormous help with old colour film (it doesn't work with silver-image film because it relies on the image being transparent to infrared).

The M1 does have an IR channel, but it is not enabled. The European equivalent, the F1, does have it enabled for dust and scratch removal.

The M1 is not in the same league as the Nikon 8000 and 9000 in terms of resolution, but it is in terms of density range. The 8000 is much slower than the 9000 at best quality, and if you don't need the speed it is a good alternative to the 9000. I have used both of them extensively.

Best,
Helen

Thank you bhop. I like the quality you have there, the 4490 seems like a good choice.... and a wonderful price! I may actually start shooting color film if I get that.

Out of curiosity, ever scan 35mm with it?

Yeah, all my film shots are scanned with it. You can see my F100, FE, and Canonet sets for quick examples.

If I had the cash to spare, i'd probably go with one of the Nikon Coolscans, but the only one that'll scan medium format, as you've already noticed, is $$$$, compared to the Epson, which serves my purposes well enough.

The V700 is probably a good choice also. I think it'll scan more frames at a time, and also bigger format sheet films.

Here's an 8000 for sale now at $1300 or offers: link.

Here's a 6x6 that was scanned on an 8000, and a detail from the scan from near the top, just left of centre:

5177048-lg.jpg

5177067-lg.jpg

Best,
Helen

That's some nice detail.. $1300 is still out of my budget :'(

I just bought an epson v700, and I love it! it will scan everything up to 8x10.

I had been using one of those small dedicated film scanners, but it was taking me over an hour to scan 1 roll of film... the v700 will scan 36 35mm negatives with one press of the button! big time saver.

V700 is about $500 on newegg.com.... but it's going to end up costing me a fortune because now I have on less reason NOT to make the jump to large format photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back