Scanning negatives with Epson V600

Zaphod2319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Those of you that scan your photos, do you prefer to scan in Jpeg or TIFF? Or do you find another format easier to work with in editing but still able to do large prints?

I scan everything as Tiff. Sometimes as a 16 bit Tiff.

Tiff because of its stability and image quality. JPEG will degrade quickly from transfer to transfer.

I don’t scan but I would recommend TIFF over jpg every time
The only time I use jpg is
To post images here or if requested by my print shop and last when I shoot my images are saved as raw and jpg
I use the jpgs to skim through images when deciding which raw files I want to work on
As others have said jpg suffers losses think copying a photocopy each time you loose info

Thank you

I was going to send a black and white to adaromapix to be printed and their limit on upload is 8 bit tiff 200 mb max. My photo is currently 16 bit tiff 850 mb. What process would be best to reduce it. I scanned at 6400. The processing was not that involved on a black and white so rescanning and touching up again is definitely an option.

Dave I see the scan is more to comply with print house request.
I too have to comply with print house requests, it’s one of the few times I use j peg
Can you tell me what software you have. PSE can convert to 8bit canons own raw editer can batch process to 8 bit
I would save a copy of what you have now, convert if you can to what they request and save that j pg as a print only image.
I keep a separate folder for such files, so that I don’t make the error of trying to rework or re save
As you have gathered for me j peg is end of the line for a pic
Hope this helps and that I have understood your need

Dave: Two issues with jpeg are resolution and jpeg quality. Also, the scanner is probably not doing better than 2400 or 3200 bits. So your scan could be done with a lower resolution. Also, how big are the prints going to be? Why not call Adorama for advice?

Thanks for all the help. I am keeping the large tiff files on an external so I keep as much destail as possible. I reduced the size to conform with Adaromapix size and kept that on my PC also mad them into JPEGs for here. I guess the best way is to just keep different versions for intended use.

I think the issue is more one of color bit depth meaning 16 bit, rather than resolution. 8 9 or 10 quality jpeg image expands to a really big file, but it only has eight bits worth of color data. If you need to do extreme correction it is much better to work in 16-bit mode on the original file come and then to export to an 8-bit jpeg for printing, and for transmitting via email or FTP.

Most reactions

Back