second curtain flash on 10d

brandonvoges

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.native411.com
quick question: I'm trying to do a second curtain flash on a longer exposure (for some night/club style shots with colored gels), on my Canon 10D with a 420ex flash.

I've set it in the custom settings, but it flashes at the front and again at the end. is this normal? the later flash seems brighter (i think maybe the first flash goes before the shutter opens...but I'm not sure), but I'm not sure. Am I missing something?

When I set it to first curtain, it just flashes once. hmmmm...

any help is much appreciated...thanks.

Brandon

voodoocat said:
Soon we're gonna need a forum dedicated to the 10D! :lol:

Sounds like a good idea to me!

My 10D is so close now I can see the pics from it!

That settles it!
We need our own section for the 10D then we can tell anyone who'll listen what a wonderful camera it is and sit around and sing Kumbayah!

BTW, CAN ANYONE ANSWER BRANDONVOGES QUESTION?

Like most here I also own a 10d...

I couldn't answer your question though as I don't own the same flash and to be perfectly honest don't do much in flash photography. My understanding is that the first flash you refer to does in fact fire just before the shutter so that the returning light (bouncing off a wall for example) hits the lens at the moment the shutter opens. Give or take. The second flash is to further illuminate of course.

This is about the extent of my knowledge, and it's shaky at best! But for what it's worth I thought you might like a feedback on your actual question...

lates!
christopher

Most reactions

Back