Seemed like a good idea at the time......

This happens here a fair amount too. The power of the ocean is amazing. It's hard to imagine what all that water can do. Good thing you only got a little wet. Some are not so lucky I suppose because the ocean seems so calm.

well, it was pretty rough out there from the storm....I was just excited by the waves. lol.

Rumor has it a honeymoon couple died out there a few years ago, shooting on edge and got swept in.

Not where I was, but in the area anyway.

It is interesting how one second its nice and peacefull...then boom....rough. That noise I heard was the sucking of the water underneath sorta sinking and making the swell. It was pretty interesting. A sound I won't forget...that's for sure.

A few trips ago, I watched a fellow walk right up to the edge of where large waves were crashing ashore with pretty good regularity. I pointed out the splash line to him. I was about 3 feet behind he. He boldly walked right up to the splash zone and proceeded to shoot tripod-mounted shots. As he was squinting through the finder, a BIG wave hit the shore. I yelled, "Look out!", and instinctively hunched over my camera and lens combo, which was mounted and shooting a little above my waist height. He did not react whatsoever, and continued shooting as the massive wave of green ocean water smashed into him. He was soaked with a wave that must have weighed 300 pounds... he came scrambling back to where I was, sputtering, and muttering curses...his unprotected Canon and 10-22mm lens were totally SOAKED. Dripping wet. The most amusing part of this entire incident was that he had a small,white hanky, and was using it to dab at his camera/lens combo. Not.Quite.Enough.Absorbption.

A few trips ago, I watched a fellow walk right up to the edge of where large waves were crashing ashore with pretty good regularity. I pointed out the splash line to him. I was about 3 feet behind he. He boldly walked right up to the splash zone and proceeded to shoot tripod-mounted shots. As he was squinting through the finder, a BIG wave hit the shore. I yelled, "Look out!", and instinctively hunched over my camera and lens combo, which was mounted and shooting a little above my waist height. He did not react whatsoever, and continued shooting as the massive wave of green ocean water smashed into him. He was soaked with a wave that must have weighed 300 pounds... he came scrambling back to where I was, sputtering, and muttering curses...his unprotected Canon and 10-22mm lens were totally SOAKED. Dripping wet. The most amusing part of this entire incident was that he had a small,white hanky, and was using it to dab at his camera/lens combo. Not.Quite.Enough.Absorbption.

and why did you not take pictures of this awesome event? lolol

Wow what an eventful day, are these sweet water or salty water ?

I guess the prize goes to those who dare, the pictures you took were fantastic and as a prize to your effort you got wet :(

Hope all is well with your 7D.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

My joysitck came back to life. yay.

It started to kinda work last night...up only...no other directional movement worked. So I left it alone, in front of a fan....all night and most of the day. Just went out back to shoot birds and it worked.

thanks the camera gods. I don't know about longevity....as saltwater is not good for electronics. But I'll take the fact that its back to working for now.

Yay.

Yeah lots of people "from away" get sucked out to sea. ;)

If you're not getting wet, you're not close enough!

Also, your highlights are kind of blocked up.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

My joysitck came back to life. yay.

It started to kinda work last night...up only...no other directional movement worked. So I left it alone, in front of a fan....all night and most of the day. Just went out back to shoot birds and it worked.

thanks the camera gods. I don't know about longevity....as saltwater is not good for electronics. But I'll take the fact that its back to working for now.

Yay.

I would still do the rice thing. every time you turn on the camera, it sends electrical current through wires. Corrosion can build up and become problematic.

If you're not getting wet, you're not close enough!

Also, your highlights are kind of blocked up.

those were sooc jpg's....just posted 'em up to tell the story. I'm sure more is blocked up than just the highlights in those images.

Here ya go amol....I processed one of them, just for you.

914023_653617504651918_1815853590_o.jpg

Glad to hear that the camera is back up and working. I would have been freaking out if I were in your shoes. You did end up with a pretty cool series of shots though

Sooo.... how do we know that you didn't just to some fancy CGI stuff? Huh? Huh? ;)

Well, at least, you didn't go swimming. That seems to happen from time to time. There was a man lost when a rogue wave shot over the rocks at Peggy's Cove (Nova Scotia) and the back flow pulled him in. I seem to recall it happening 6 months ago in fall. Have you considered a dry suit for such "exploration"?

Plus a life jacket?

Most reactions

Back