What's new

Selective Colouring....First Attempt...Ever!

Scarlett_Phoenix

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
Location
Kent, Uk
The title said it all. I have always looked and wondered how it was done, and seeing a couple of pictures posted on here to made me go and look it up.
Now I know this is not great, but please tell me how I have done. I know that I have room to improve, but for a first attempt, I don't think it is too bad.

 
I have Adobe Photoshop Elements (which came with my camera),. I adjused the image to get the colour I wanted, the created a second layer, adjusted the Hue to near black and white, then erased the area I wanted coloured. Does that make sense (I am a little daft, and not to good at explianing things :confused: )

It was seeing your "Eye" piece earlier, that inspired me to have a go myself. So thank you for getting me to learn something new. :hail: :hail:
 
very good job!! A little trick/tip for you that might be a little easier than the eraser. Do everything like you did but instead of using the eraser make the top layer a "layer mask" by clicking on the little icon that looks like a rectangle with a white circle on it.

That will make the top layer a mask. Then to erase what you dont want paint it with black using any size brush you wish. If you mess up all you need to do is paint over what you want to come back with white.
 
Wally said:
very good job!! A little trick/tip for you that might be a little easier than the eraser. Do everything like you did but instead of using the eraser make the top layer a "layer mask" by clicking on the little icon that looks like a rectangle with a white circle on it.

That will make the top layer a mask. Then to erase what you dont want paint it with black using any size brush you wish. If you mess up all you need to do is paint over what you want to come back with white.

That's what I do as well... it's lovely. But I don't think that Photoshop Elements has that feature, unfortunately.
 
mcb said:
kinda cliche...

So what?
You have to begin with SOMETHING.
And since I have only learned how to do selective colouring a week ago myself (and Artemis taught me your very technique used here, too, Scarlett), I know that eyes just ARE the thing to begin with, and cat's eyes are most willing ;).

So: congratulations on having acquired this new technique, enjoy it, don't get totally caught up in it (there is some addictive potential in it, but also the danger to be getting sore eyes and very stiff shoulders!) and show us more :D.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom