Self-Portrait Lighting Experiment

I agree with you on that one, I prefer using natural light when taking a portrait, but I also like the surreal look of lots of lighting. Either way, lighting is key :) I'm sure you haven't been told that one before...

Alright, here it is guys, it's much, much better than the first one! And one of the biggest pain in the a^$'s I ever had to Photoshop :p I look pretty old for 16, don't I :$

comprezione.jpg

Things I did differently,

-Made the halogen lights much higher so they are actually facing towards my face
-Put portable lights in different directions
-Rotated the tripod properly
-Used live-view
-Stood on a stool so that that camera could be aimed higher but still seeing my legs
-Shot at 31mm
-Shot with a flash with a exposure of 1 & 1/3
-Put on a belt this time :)
-Shot in my basement

What do you guys think?

Very cool and much improved.

Nitpicking here:
Turn your body ever so slightly to fully introduce your left shoulder. This will also introduce your left hand to the audience.
The lighting on camera right is too hot because it is washing out your mask (face) line.
Instead of both hands in their pockets, perhaps only the forward. Having both is stretching the fabric of your trousers making them look slightly awkward at the crotch. Nobody wants their crotch looking awkward.
I would edit out that catch light in the far side right eye.
Very nice detail of the suit.
Thanks for wearing a belt. :biggrin:

Well done. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it. :D I will definitely think about that next time :) What do you mean by catch light?

What do you mean by catch light?
The reflection of your light source(s) that shows in the eyes. This is a sought after attribute in portraiture. The one I mentioned is just a little over the top IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back