Self portrait/publicity shot C&C please.

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I needed a new self portrait for my website and took this one this morning. The idea is to look friendly and approachable (devastatingly handsome would be good but I've given up on that); have I achieved my goal?

img0001.png

Well, you're not DEVASTATINGLY handsome, but you're not too bad. Friendly looking yes. I get the feeling of a bit old fashioned from the picture...I'm not sure if it's the glasses down the nose, the hat, or the bowtie...

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. You don't look creepy or anything and you do look like you have a friendly nature and a soft heart. Your eyes are quite soft and trustworthy.

Good point that!!! I wanted KFC so badly today...and then this guy appears...now I REALLY want it!

It's an excellent self-portrait. Great composition, exposure and treatment, BUT... (There's always 'but' isn't there?) the treatment and choice of clothing do seem rather old-fashioned. Are you marketing to a particular niche?

remember, he's Granddad, so all his clothes probably look like this!
;)

I like the style, stick with it!

I love it. Great shot. I would definitely say you've achieved friendly and approachable. I also love the style. Few people can pull off a bow-tie, but you've done it quite well.

It's an excellent self-portrait. Great composition, exposure and treatment, BUT... (There's always 'but' isn't there?) the treatment and choice of clothing do seem rather old-fashioned. Are you marketing to a particular niche?

My thought exactly and waiting for the OP to tell us the story.

Thank you, all.
As for old fashioned - I'm normally a scruffy old fart in an open neck check shirt but when I shoot at some evening events I wear my dinner suit (tuxedo). The waistcoat (vest) was made for me by my wife and matches the colour of the bow tie perfectly. This morning when I set out to take the photos I decided I wanted to do "smart" and this was how I ended up. The moustache was looking a little scruffy so I curled the ends, my bald head was reflecting the flash so I grabbed the hat, my specs were also reflecting so I dropped them to the end of my nose. To be honest I often wear the specs on the end of my nose when I'm shooting because they're reading specs, I need them clear of my eyes to use the viewfinder but without them I can't see the screen clearly.

Do you think I should adopt the look for my shoots? ... Maybe mount my Nikon in an old wooden box on a tipod and add a black curtain over the back. :lmao:

Do you think I should adopt the look for my shoots? ... Maybe mount my Nikon in an old wooden box on a tipod and add a black curtain over the back. :lmao:
DO IT! Kind of a Steam-Punk thing. In fact, ditch digital, and build a mid-format pinhole camera*.

*I actually want to do that...it seems fun.

The heck with mid-format, go for the 8x10 sheet film!
old-studio-camera.jpg

I used one of these (newer) in college. Amazing fun.

DO IT! Kind of a Steam-Punk thing. In fact, ditch digital, and build a mid-format pinhole camera*.

*I actually want to do that...it seems fun.

There's a thought ... Steampunk is big around here, they do the biggest annual steampunk festival in Lincoln (15 miles from here) every year and I have a couple of friends who are into steampunk and Victorian re-enactment. I may wander over to the antique centres across the road and see if I can find an old camera... but if I do the guts and lens will defininitely be Nikon - I'm not getting into the darkroom and chemicals thing.

Most reactions

Back