Self Portrait

I'm diggin' the scene. The stairs really work.

As a self-diagnosed narcissist I would offer these suggestions.
1) The Main light is set too low, causing your nose shadow to rise rather than fall.
2) The back of your hand is too prominent. Turning your wrist slightly to show even the beginnings of your fingers would be an improvement.
3) I would clone out that little patch of lighter stair between you shoulder and cheek. That bit at your ear is questionable.
4) Try having your thumb running along the jawline so that it is more discernible.
5) Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Pretty cool shot. Thanks for sharing.

I would've seen it in "Post a pic of yourself" in a month or so. :lol:

Thanks Kundalini. I need to get a wireless remote for stuff like this. I was running back and forth from the camera to the stairs using the ten second timer. I spent most of my time concentrating on getting my face in the focus zone which really hindered my posing. This was one of the few shots that wasn't down right embarrassing. :lol:

I'll definitely try raising the closer light a bit next time. I didn't actually use my flash for this, it was a battery operated Coleman camp light.

Thanks Kundalini. I need to get a wireless remote for stuff like this. I was running back and forth from the camera to the stairs using the ten second timer. I spent most of my time concentrating on getting my face in the focus zone which really hindered my posing. This was one of the few shots that wasn't down right embarrassing.
I was doing the same thing for my avatar photo. I do have a wireless shutter remote, but it was dead when I went to use it...and I didn't have the odd size battery.

I agree, the light could be higher and I think the image could be cropped closer. The space above your head isn't really adding anything and I think it would be better without it.

There used to be a member here, years ago...her name was Jefapie or something like that. She took the best self portraits.

Well done, that's definitely firing on all cylinders. I got no suggestions for improvement at all.

Mike, I hadn't really considered the empty space, but I have to agree. I really wanted to do this shot with my 85 1.8 and it was a tight squeeze to make it physically work so I was overly concerned about being in too tight width wise I completely ignored the top.

Derrel, I have no excuses. I'd much rather look at/shoot someone like that too.

Mike, I hadn't really considered the empty space, but I have to agree. I really wanted to do this shot with my 85 1.8 and it was a tight squeeze to make it physically work so I was overly concerned about being in too tight width wise I completely ignored the top.
For self portraits (especially when using the timer), shooting loose and cropping is the way to go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back