Self portraits (C&C)

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by TheKenTurner, Jul 10, 2012.

1. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    OH right, the 50/1.8. Yeah. Sh!itty bokeh happens with that lens. You could try f/1.8, or f/2 for head and shoulders, but the DoF will be slim. I wouldn't try a round custom bokeh shape though, just my opinion.

2. TheKenTurner

TheKenTurner No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I was using 1.8 for this pictures... I'm surprised there wasn't more blur in the background. It was 3 or 4 feet behind me and the camera was 3 or 4 feet away! But along with other, more important lenses, the 50 1.4 is on my list of lenses I want and could actually eventually get.

Also a kind of random thought, canon's cheapest L lens should be a 50 f/2.8 for $500 or something...

-Ken Turner

3. JohnTrav

JohnTrav No longer a newbie, moving up!

As a word of advise as far as lenses go. If you are serious about photography and the sharpness and clarity of your pictures. I would save up and just buy the L lenses you want and not waste your money or time on cheaper "budget" lenses. Don't get me wrong. They are still decent and you can still get good images out of them. But from my own experience, I think you should just get what you really want.

I bought the 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS lens for like 200$ at the time and ended up selling it because I want the 70-200L. And those cheaper lenses don't seem to hold as much value as the L lenses.

That's just my opinion on lenses if you are planning on purchasing more in the near future.

Other than that keep snapping away. Looks like your on the right path to creating nice photos.

4. o hey tyler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha. What purpose would that serve? They've already got a 50/1.2, 1.4, and 1.8? What would be different about a 50/2.8 other than the fact that it would be the slowest 50mm available, and cost almost twice as much as the 50/1.4. The only plus side would be the optical quality of the glass, but even then it would natively be slower than all the other 50's. ;)

I just don't see the logic, homie.

5. TheKenTurner

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It would be "slow", but not too bad considering right now of I want to take a picture at 85mm, then it has to be at 5.6... AND IT WOULD BE AN L LENS! It would also fit in nice with the low priced 17-40 and 70-200 L lenses. But probably not gonna happen. Or at least especially not when I can barely pay for lenses.

-Ken Turner

6. TheKenTurner

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Trust me, I would do it if I could afford it.

-Ken Turner

7. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :crazy: You'll have to nail focus dead on its nuts, which is not that easy with SPs. I was gonna suggest f/5.6 to f/8 to give yourself some leeway for hitting focus, at least in the begining to get some decent results until you have done it enough to feel comfortable before tightening the screws down.

8. o hey tyler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've hit focus on a self portrait between f/2 and f/3.5. As long as you set up some good blocking (I believe that's the movie term) of where to stand and focus the lens properly, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. Might be some trial and error involved, but it's doable.

9. TheKenTurner

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also, I can auto focus from my laptop, so I don't really have to guess at all where I have to focus...

-Ken Turner

10. luvmyfamily

luvmyfamily TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I totally agree that self portraits are a great way to practice. Done a few myself. So many different opinions here.

11. TheKenTurner

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I also like them because you can do them whenever you want instead of having to figure out a time and go by somewhat of a schedule...

-Ken Turner

12. JohnTrav

JohnTrav No longer a newbie, moving up!

I don't doubt you.

Just letting you know my thoughts. Wouldn't like a fellow photographer making the same mistakes as me if they can avoid it.