Self portraits (C&C)

Large aperture, f/2.5 will work. Head and shoulders should be an ideal working distance while still allowing you to isolate yourself from the background, especially outdoors.

:crazy: You'll have to nail focus dead on its nuts, which is not that easy with SPs. I was gonna suggest f/5.6 to f/8 to give yourself some leeway for hitting focus, at least in the begining to get some decent results until you have done it enough to feel comfortable before tightening the screws down.

Large aperture, f/2.5 will work. Head and shoulders should be an ideal working distance while still allowing you to isolate yourself from the background, especially outdoors.

:crazy: You'll have to nail focus dead on its nuts, which is not that easy with SPs. I was gonna suggest f/5.6 to f/8 to give yourself some leeway for hitting focus, at least in the begining to get some decent results until you have done it enough to feel comfortable before tightening the screws down.

I've hit focus on a self portrait between f/2 and f/3.5. As long as you set up some good blocking (I believe that's the movie term) of where to stand and focus the lens properly, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. Might be some trial and error involved, but it's doable.

o hey tyler said:
I've hit focus on a self portrait between f/2 and f/3.5. As long as you set up some good blocking (I believe that's the movie term) of where to stand and focus the lens properly, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. Might be some trial and error involved, but it's doable.

Also, I can auto focus from my laptop, so I don't really have to guess at all where I have to focus...

-Ken Turner

I totally agree that self portraits are a great way to practice. Done a few myself. So many different opinions here.

luvmyfamily said:
I totally agree that self portraits are a great way to practice. Done a few myself. So many different opinions here.

Yeah, I also like them because you can do them whenever you want instead of having to figure out a time and go by somewhat of a schedule...

-Ken Turner

TheKenTurner said:
Trust me, I would do it if I could afford it.

-Ken Turner

I don't doubt you.

Just letting you know my thoughts. Wouldn't like a fellow photographer making the same mistakes as me if they can avoid it.

JohnTrav said:
I don't doubt you.

Just letting you know my thoughts. Wouldn't like a fellow photographer making the same mistakes as me if they can avoid it.

Yeah, but I have a feeling I'll be playing around with Signa EX lenses before buying Canon L lenses. They have great prices, and apparently good quality glass too! But I think my next lens will probably be a Sigma DC :/

-Ken Turner

Two words - Raccoon eyes.

AKA dark eye sockets. The eyes are a very important element in a portrait.

Your light source was to high, which also caused shadows under your eyes.

KmH said:

See, you say raccoon eyes and I think periorbital ecchymosis. Which is indicative of a basilar skull fracture. Probably not the case though on a photography forum.

I hung a string, with a weighted end, at eye level. Focused on that, then stood with my eyes in the same focus plane. You could also hang a large enough picture frame that barely is in the frame on all four edges. Then just put your head in the frame! I also used AF with a remote trigger and chose the focus point where my eyes would rest.

Since you have a tethered screen for focusing these are not necessary though.

KmH said:

See, you say raccoon eyes and I think periorbital ecchymosis. Which is indicative of a basilar skull fracture. Probably not the case though on a photography forum.

Oh.. I don't know! Of the married couples here, if one half knew what the other half was spending on lenses and whatnot... I think skull fractures would be the least of our problems! ;) LOL!

set142.jpg
This photo has potential even with the under exposure, color balance error, focus sharpness, and lighting issues, but you don't allow edits, so no one can show you any editing possibilities.

JoshuaSimPhotography said:
Wow, u look way older than the age u told me. I like 1 and 2, they have a good background. But 3 and 4 have a distracting one, and there are a few shadows here and there;)

Really? I thought I look younger....
Yeah, I like that background too, But I think I had the best pose in #3. The shadows are hard to get around, but I'll try to gather different lighting from around the house. I still need to buy a light kit :( along with a new laptop, a 70-200L, and a 28mm f/2.8, so it might be a while :/

Edit: nice signature, just noticed it now ;)

-Ken Turner

ZoomButt.gif

Haha, thx, I also took time to look at yours... great site!

KmH said:
This photo has potential even with the under exposure, color balance error, focus sharpness, and lighting issues, but you don't allow edits, so no one can show you any editing possibilities.

Would I have to change that, or can I just tell people that they're allowed on this thread?

-Ken Turner

Most reactions

Back