Self portraits (C&C)

TheKenTurner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So today I got a haircut and I really like it, so I decided to take some self portraits. Unlike my other (and bad) self portrait, I decided to do some real selfies. I had my T3i on a tripod with the 50mm f/1.8, and I had my laptop on my lap with EOS utility so I could make adjustments and focus without having to move and guess what my photo will look like. I took more than ten photos, but ended up with four "good" ones. Here they are!

Also, I'm not good with poses, so I just kinda did what they tell me to do at school..

YOU CAN EDIT THESE IF YOU WANT!
Please follow these simple rules:
DO NOT use these photos to make money. Please upload to a website such as Imageshack. If you upload to your own, personal site, then please credit http://kenturner.comli.com.

set142.jpg

set132.jpg

set122.jpg

set112.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, u look way older than the age u told me. I like 1 and 2, they have a good background. But 3 and 4 have a distracting one, and there are a few shadows here and there;)

Why do you take self portraits? Dont think you learn much doing that. Take photos of other ppl or things. You seem to have a weird blue light in your face, must be your computer screen. Especially in # 1.

janineh said:
Why do you take self portraits? Dont think you learn much doing that. Take photos of other ppl or things. You seem to have a weird blue light in your face, must be your computer screen. Especially in # 1.

I just take self portraits when I'm bored at 11pm.

Wow, I didn't even notice that blue light, thanks for pointing out! Maybe I can just kind of close my laptop while taking the pictures next time!

-Ken Turner

JoshuaSimPhotography said:
Wow, u look way older than the age u told me. I like 1 and 2, they have a good background. But 3 and 4 have a distracting one, and there are a few shadows here and there;)

Really? I thought I look younger....
Yeah, I like that background too, But I think I had the best pose in #3. The shadows are hard to get around, but I'll try to gather different lighting from around the house. I still need to buy a light kit :( along with a new laptop, a 70-200L, and a 28mm f/2.8, so it might be a while :/

Edit: nice signature, just noticed it now ;)

-Ken Turner

I think before you buy a 70-200L you learn to shoot properly first...:thumbup:

*by the way, not trying to discourage you or make you feel bad, just don't believe that you are ready for that kind of lens. I think you should still continue experimenting with your 50, learn some composition and how to focus properly for starters. Getting an L lens will not make you a pro photographer. Perhaps invest money in some books on photography and time and patience in shooting.:)

This statement is just plain wrong. There is sooooo much you can practice with self portraits. Lighting and posing being on the top of the list. Since the OP has his camera tethered he does not need to worry about focus as much. I would suggest some sort of homemade hot light so he can see how the light will be laid on his face. To the OP, google portrait lighting and poses and go from there.

Sbuxo said:

*by the way, not trying to discourage you or make you feel bad, just don't believe that you are ready for that kind of lens. I think you should still continue experimenting with your 50, learn some composition and how to focus properly for starters. Getting an L lens will not make you a pro photographer. Perhaps invest money in some books on photography and time and patience in shooting.:)

Come to think of it, I don't need an L lens right now. Maybe just a 70-300 or something. I just need more zoom. And eventually I'm going going to go from 17-85 to 17-70.

-Ken Turner

jake337 said:
This statement is just plain wrong. There is sooooo much you can practice with self portraits. Lighting and posing being on the top of the list. Since the OP has his camera tethered he does not need to worry about focus as much. I would suggest some sort of homemade hot light so he can see how the light will be laid on his face. To the OP, google portrait lighting and poses and go from there.

Thank you :)

-Ken Turner

This statement is just plain wrong. There is sooooo much you can practice with self portraits. Lighting and posing being on the top of the list.

I agree, Jake! Self portraits are excellent practice! Also an excellent way to test new things, without having to deal with an impatient bored "subject"!

I disagree! If a person can afford the lens... it definitely wont HURT his images, and it may just motivate someone to study harder and practice more (as well as being a great investment for future photography)! I agree that buying a body that is far beyond a purchasers skill set is not a good idea, and can even lead to a lot of frustration. I see a lot more people buying bodies that they can't use properly, than I see peoples with lenses they cant use....

And I'm going to buy a Lamborghini Murcielago because it will make me a better driver. :roll: What I see with most people is their illusion that their level of skill (or lack thereof) is going to change because of the acquisition of an expensive lens. I didn't say not to ever buy it, but given his photos, an L lens is pretty over the top. But sure, if mommy and daddy have money, why not? :thumbup:

All in all, just keep shooting, kid. And be inspired to learn by all means, not just dropping cash for expensive lenses. ��

Last edited:
Can we please not have a big argument? One started on my last C&C thread, and the mods closed the thread :(

And I'm going to buy a Lamborghini Murcielago because it will make me a better driver. :roll: What I see with most people is their illusion that their level of skill (or lack thereof) is going to change because of the acquisition of an expensive lens. I didn't say not to ever buy it, but given his photos, an L lens is pretty over the top. But sure, if mommy and daddy have money, why not? :thumbup:

All in all, just keep shooting, kid. And be inspired to learn by all means, not just dropping cash for expensive lenses. ��

A Lamborghini won't make you a better driver, but it will give you more speed than your (probably) Honda Civic, and teach you more about cars.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back