Self Portraits

Missdaisy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got a wireless remote trigger for my D300, I would like to start taking self portraits and family pictures that include me. How do you focus the camera without being behind it focusing?

For self portraits, I use a light stand and adjust the height to where my eyes will be (standing or sitting) and focus on that. Turn autofocus OFF. Set the timer and Bob's your uncle. Before I purchased light stands, I'd use anything available that would accomplish the same.... broom leaning against a chair.

You may want to stop down (f/4 to f/5.6) your lens a little in case you're not dead on the focus spot when you get in frame.

Yup, just pre-focus to where you will be. And use a smaller aperture to give you more leeway with your DOF.

I get someone to stand in for me while I focus and then we trade places.

Someone in this forum suggest using a boom to pre-focus in the past.

Ok thanks for the tips! I'll play around with it this week then I'll post the pics for more advice.

I've worn my kids and husband out on taking their picture all the time. My kids have pretty much decided that they will no longer smile for the camera unless I say something gross and crack them up but those aren't the smiles I'm going for.

There's another alternative. Use a wireless Nikon remote and the camera will focus right on you when you press the button.

There's another alternative. Use a wireless Nikon remote and the camera will focus right on you when you press the button.
How will you be able to tell where the focus point is? By pre-focusing, the guess work is cut out.

My wireless remote focuses before it shoot.

You would have to have to select the focus point on where your face will be and near your eyes and then hope that you can stand in that spot when it focuses or just pre focus which can be easier.
tj

Ok so in the last week or so I have played around with doing self portraits. With some of your tips I was able to focus pretty well, but now my issue is trying to look natural, when I see the pics I've taken I look "stiff".
Any ideas on how to get more comfortable in front of the camera, other than getting myself drunk. :drunk:

Try placing a mirror near the camera so that you can see yourself while you are in position.

Any ideas on how to get more comfortable in front of the camera, other than getting myself drunk. :drunk:
That's how the professionals do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back