Senior Portrait Photography C&C Please

ashbeephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These are actually my two sisters ... (the blonde is a senior this year) ... I am interested in seriously trying my hand at Senior Portrait ... I seem to be drawn to that ... So it's great to have free and willing models to work with. :)

I would really appreciate some CC on these photos ... Thanks :)

4712524985_11b05a8c25_b.jpg

4712495589_a94cb29e04_b.jpg

4713087434_0619ac0ea0_b.jpg

4712435299_b67326acc0_b.jpg

4712414485_27b4e7eb13_b.jpg

A few other pictures as well as a link to all the pictures on Flickr are on my blog: http://ashbeephoto.com/2010/06/18/katie-stacy-photoshoot/

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
I like the focus and blur on the last picture.

Thanks for the CC ... I have a manual focus lens and am still learning it ... I can def. see how the 4th is really unfocused

Thanks BrianLy :)

Thanks for the CC ... I have a manual focus lens and am still learning it ...

Not sure what you've got equipment wise, but if your camera doesn't have it, a split screen focusing screen helps with manual lenses. I've got one in my Pentax *istD.

C&C per req:

1. The thing that bothers more than anything about this image is her dress. I can't tell if that is supposed to be a pattern, bleach-stains or what. The pose is a bit awkward and forced, and her expression seems less than happy.

2. Nice, but I'd suggest a reflector image right lessen the exposure difference between the left and right sides of her face. As well, don't forget to check and cover things like the bra straps.

3. Again, not fond of the expression on her face. I really don't think that this is an image she's going to look back on in 20 years and be really pleased with. As well, I'd suggest an increased DoF to ensure that her whole face is in focus, as well as trying to avoid cropping the top of her head.

4. Much nicer expression and relaxed, natural pose, but you've got a lot of wasted, empty space image right, and the focus seems just a hair off. In this case, her jeans are rather dirty and dusty - on those things that you want to keep an eye on and avoide, especialy when shoting outdoor venues.

5. Nice; not fond of the all the verital lines in the background, but the selective focus helps reduce the distraction.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

First of all, I hope your father owns a gun...because the women in your family are apparently very attractive and I think that might be required to scare off any guys that try to get too close.

Secondly, the pictures look pretty great for senior portraits (sounds like it's your first time doing them so in that regard they look amazing!). I'd agree with the patterned dress...it's a bit of an eye-catcher in a bad way. The picture still looks good and she looks fine *in* it, but the dress itself just kind of draws attention away from her...which should be your subject.

Maybe a little more PP in all of the pictures just to brighten up colors and add a bit more contrast...but otherwise the pictures look great!

Not sure what you've got equipment wise, but if your camera doesn't have it, a split screen focusing screen helps with manual lenses. I've got one in my Pentax *istD.

I have a Nikon D3000 (a beginner DSLR, but I wanted to make sure it was something I could get into before I spent a lot of $), the lense that came with my camera, and a Nikorr 50mm f1.8 lense (that I used in this shoot).

How can you get a split screen focusing screen? Is that something that is built into the camer or can I order it? Thanks for the help on this :)

Tirediron,

1. Believe it or not I have tons of smiling pictures of the blonde and tons of serious of the brunette ... I have no idea why I chose only serious pictures of one and smiley pictures of the other ... Thanks for pointing this out ... Def. something to be aware of for client previews of the pictures.

Her dress is a bit out there ... but I guess that is one element you can't really change. Should you suggest more outfits, maybe?

2. Do you have any suggestions for a decent (and reasonbly priced) reflector and/or know any resources on how to use one? I've read a lot about them but I don't really know how to use them. :)

Thanks for pointing out the bra straps. That has more-or-less ruined some of the best pictures ... I thought I could PS them out, but what a pain! Good point ... wish I had thought more clearly about that on the shoot!

3. Thanks again for pointing out the expressions. When I first started dabbling in photography I over-processed all my pictures. Although I have plenty of smiley shots I think I am liking all the "moody" shots for reasons I don't know ... probably the same reasons I over-processed ... I'll be WAY more aware of that next time. Thanks :)

4. Thanks for pointing out the dust. Another thing I didn't notice :( Wow there is so much that goes into making a great picture (but I'm loving learning).

This picture is cropped from the original .... and I'm terrible at cropping ... what would you suggest?

5. Thanks ... and thanks for all the CC! Very helpful! :)

DerekSalem:

First of all, I hope your father owns a gun...because the women in your family are apparently very attractive and I think that might be required to scare off any guys that try to get too close.
Thanks, I will inform him :) (Plenty appropriate for Father's day :))

It was my first time, and thanks. I was a little nervous and they are not where I want to be ... but I am proud of them because I have learned SO much from this shoot and from the great critiques I've received!

I agree with the dress, see above. :)

If you see above I used to way over process everything ... so now I think I shy away from it. Better to under-process than to over-process I guess? Thanks though, I will try and moderatley bump the colors and contrast. Thanks again for your CC! :)

How can you get a split screen focusing screen? Is that something that is built into the camer or can I order it? Thanks for the help on this :)

Here is one of the more expensive ones out on the market, but they do work great. You can also get cheaper ones from off shore. Have a read through their site, and you'll get an idea what their product does.

Nikon DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

Here is one of the more expensive ones out on the market, but they do work great. You can also get cheaper ones from off shore. Have a read through their site, and you'll get an idea what their product does.

Not sure this is something I can purchase this week ... but I favorited the website and will hopefully be able to get it in the next couple weeks. (I'm in agreeance with you, you didn't say it so I'm assuming, it's better to buy something of quality, pay the money, and take care of it and have it last forever rather than constantly buy junk or get poor quality :))

Thanks for turning me on to these! Didn't even know they existed :)

Not sure this is something I can purchase this week ... but I favorited the website and will hopefully be able to get it in the next couple weeks. (I'm in agreeance with you, you didn't say it so I'm assuming, it's better to buy something of quality, pay the money, and take care of it and have it last forever rather than constantly buy junk or get poor quality :))

Thanks for turning me on to these! Didn't even know they existed :)

Apparently some of the off shore ones are not that bad at all. I can't say myself from experience, but may be well worth looking into. I'm thinking of an off shore one for my K7.

I don't believe the focusing screen in the D3000 is easily replaceable.

Portrait type photographs can be made with the camera held in one of 2 orientations:
  1. Horizontal/Landscape (all of the ones you have posted)
  2. Vertical/Portrait (perhaps appropriate for #2, #3, and #4)

Tirediron,

1. Believe it or not I have tons of smiling pictures of the blonde and tons of serious of the brunette ... I have no idea why I chose only serious pictures of one and smiley pictures of the other ... Thanks for pointing this out ... Def. something to be aware of for client previews of the pictures.

Her dress is a bit out there ... but I guess that is one element you can't really change. Should you suggest more outfits, maybe?

2. Do you have any suggestions for a decent (and reasonbly priced) reflector and/or know any resources on how to use one? I've read a lot about them but I don't really know how to use them. :)

Thanks for pointing out the bra straps. That has more-or-less ruined some of the best pictures ... I thought I could PS them out, but what a pain! Good point ... wish I had thought more clearly about that on the shoot!

3. Thanks again for pointing out the expressions. When I first started dabbling in photography I over-processed all my pictures. Although I have plenty of smiley shots I think I am liking all the "moody" shots for reasons I don't know ... probably the same reasons I over-processed ... I'll be WAY more aware of that next time. Thanks :)

4. Thanks for pointing out the dust. Another thing I didn't notice :( Wow there is so much that goes into making a great picture (but I'm loving learning).

This picture is cropped from the original .... and I'm terrible at cropping ... what would you suggest?

5. Thanks ... and thanks for all the CC! Very helpful! :)

1. As the photographer, one of your functions is to advise the clients on what will and won't 'work' and ideally, meet with them ahead of time to discuss outfits, location, etc. For instance, if the chosen area for the portraits were a grass field with bright green trees behind them and they wanted to wear their favorite green dress...

2. Cheap reflectors? Sure. Wal-Mart, craft aisle, poster-board in white and light yellow. Usually comes in 24x36" sheets for a couple of dollars. You can get nice 5in1 refeletors from your phot store, or on-line ranging in size from 24" to 72" and in price from <$25 to several hundred dollars.

Use is simple. Look at the scene, or shoot a test shot and look at it. Evaluate the exposure and especialy the shdow regions. Place the reflector to reflect natural light into the shadow regions (you'll find an assistant invaluable).

3. Always correct what you can at the time you shoot. Noticing things like the bra-straps, dust, etc, is something that will come with practice.
4. Not much you can do to change it, just something to think about for future work.

Apparently some of the off shore ones are not that bad at all. I can't say myself from experience, but may be well worth looking into. I'm thinking of an off shore one for my K7.
don't believe the focusing screen in the D3000 is easily replaceable.

Thank you both for your opinions on this issue ... it looks like something I may need to do more research on. I have discovered that I can set my camera to have a focusing guide on the inside screen ... not like the screens but pretty good. Thanks :)

Portrait type photographs can be made with the camera held in one of 2 orientations:
  1. Horizontal/Landscape (all of the ones you have posted)
  2. Vertical/Portrait (perhaps appropriate for #2, #3, and #4)
I think I do favor the one ... thanks for pointing this out ... nextime I will try and use vertical orientations more liberally :)

1. As the photographer, one of your functions is to advise the clients on what will and won't 'work' and ideally, meet with them ahead of time to discuss outfits, location, etc. For instance, if the chosen area for the portraits were a grass field with bright green trees behind them and they wanted to wear their favorite green dress...

Putting it like that you are absolutley right. Point taken. Thanks :)

2. Cheap reflectors? Sure. Wal-Mart, craft aisle, poster-board in white and light yellow. Usually comes in 24x36" sheets for a couple of dollars. You can get nice 5in1 refeletors from your phot store, or on-line ranging in size from 24" to 72" and in price from <$25 to several hundred dollars.

Use is simple. Look at the scene, or shoot a test shot and look at it. Evaluate the exposure and especialy the shdow regions. Place the reflector to reflect natural light into the shadow regions (you'll find an assistant invaluable).

Wow ... thanks for pointing this out! I guess that would work. I would really like to get a 5 in 1 reflector, but right now photography is a hobby (I am wanting to become professional, but I need TONS of practice and learning before that point) I'll have to look into more information on this ... I'm really visual so I'd love to be able see how to hold the reflector etc ...

3. Always correct what you can at the time you shoot. Noticing things like the bra-straps, dust, etc, is something that will come with practice.
4. Not much you can do to change it, just something to think about for future work.

I think what you said in 3 kind of falls under 4 for this shoot. I mean some serious PS, but you're right noticing these things before clicking the shutter saves a lot of time and makes for a better practice.

I'm kind of glad I made these mistakes this time though so I had the opportunity to learn from. :)

Thanks for all the C&C again ... greatly appreciated :)

Most reactions

Back