Sensor Cleaning

oldgunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Having trouble with left over residue after cleaning my sensor, think the solution is bad. Can I use Zeiss cleaning wipes modified on a sensor swab to clean the sensor or will it damage the sensor? Any ideas?
Thanks

Cleaning solution is too cheap to not order another bottle if you think the one you have has gone bad. IMHO.

I doubt it has gone bad as that would imply there are volatile compounds that have somehow evaporated or degraded. Any crystallized particulates in the fluid may pose a scratch threat, I would only use sensor liquids that have been properly processed and filtered.

There are many types of sensor fluids, sometimes it is a two step process with fluids, use one to get the oil spots off then another to clean up the residue. Also, you will need to use a few wipes to do it properly, it may be your technique needs refining, as @cgw stated, review online tutorials.

Please do not use any non branded stuff to clean your sensor. One faulty chemical can actually destroy the plastic which covers the sensor and the sensor would not be able to detect light any more. I would say watch some videos of the professional about their cleaning method and what product do they use to clean sensors. Then apply it.

Little late to the thread but one of the most common problems that happens with wet cleaning is using to much solution. The result is "streaking" when the excess dries. The good news is that it can be removed by cleaning again with solution. Be aware it may take more than once to remove, and resist the urge to use more solution, as you only perpetuate the problem. If after a few times the residue still remains, then switch to this ROR Residual Oil Remover (2.0 oz) it can be found fairly easily online. Or you can use labratory grade isopropyl. Either of these will remove oil and or streaks, that the cleaning solution doesn't touch without excessive scrubbing.

In sensor cleaning you should always start with the least aggressive (blower), then cleaning solution, then more aggressive cleaner.

Most reactions

Back