sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone else seen this: Lexar 256GB Professional 600x SDXC UHS-I Memory Card for Cameras LSD256CTBNA600?

That seems like it has BAD. IDEA. written all over it to me!
One little card, holding 256 GIGS of my photos before I start moving them somewhere else?? WHY?

I don't think you'd even need that if you did a lot of video. Granted, I almost never do video, so I'm not sure how much space you need for it.

For the same price, you could three 2-TB external drives, a couple of 32gb sd cards and probably still have money left over.

Anyone see the value/attraction to this that I'm missing here? I do realize it supposedly has rocket-fast transfer speed, but it'd have to, if you're gonna transfer 256gb of photos at a time. The speed alone certainly doesn't justify the cost in my mind.

You could shoot an entire wedding with Raw+jpg and still have room left over.

The high speed would be the biggest benefit that I could see. I'm like you and wouldn't want to wait to fill it before editing. (Could you imagine the time you would spend editing a full card of that size?)

and when that card dies (which they always do at the WORST possible moment), that's a lotta pichurs down the tube. I purposely use only 4Gb cards; one card = one back-up DVD.

This is great for digital video.

These cards aren't meant for still cameras. Unless 60 and 80 megapixel cameras are taking SD cards, these like runnah said are meant for video.

Why not? 100mp cameras aren't too far off.

Why not? 100mp cameras aren't too far off.

They are far enough where this card would be obsolete when they are released as prosumer/high end consumer cameras.

Well, I wondered if video really DOES need that kind of memory space--since I rarely do any, I have no idea.
Still seems like an expensive option, at over $2/gb when many sd memory cards now are just over $1/gb.

I would seriously consider one for my D800 if I was going on a long photography trip somewhere (and didn't take a laptop)... It doesn't take long to fill up my 32gb cards with Raw files.

Well, I wondered if video really DOES need that kind of memory space--since I rarely do any, I have no idea.
Still seems like an expensive option, at over $2/gb when many sd memory cards now are just over $1/gb.

I have a 128 gb card that I use for my video camera and that gets filled up very quick. Call it about 200 mins of full hd video.

I could see its merit...somewhat...

I shot video at a bar for a band last weekend and burnt through 40 gigs for the 2 hour performance in 1080p.

I'm sure people in the past were saysing 512mb! why would you need that big of card. files in cameras are getting bigger, same goes for video. some people don't use tons of small cards and swap out all the time. some people choose to buy one card and never replace it. im sure in the future you will see 1tb cards hit the market. and this is something new to the market so the price is sky high, it will come down in time like it has in the past.

I'm sure people in the past were saysing 512mb! why would you need that big of card. files in cameras are getting bigger, same goes for video. some people don't use tons of small cards and swap out all the time. some people choose to buy one card and never replace it. im sure in the future you will see 1tb cards hit the market. and this is something new to the market so the price is sky high, it will come down in time like it has in the past.

Fair enough. I got my very first home computer right after I got married, in 1984. It was a Commodore64. As in 64K. :lmao: And I sincerely believed that that thing had more memory than anyone could ever POSSIBLY think about using!

I was going through my old cards last night, because I found a couple of CF cards to give my son for his D100. I had several 16mb sd cards, some 32mb and 64mb as well.

I guess it just blows my poor little old-person's mind. :D

Many people have absolutely no doubt that if it has a BIGGER number then it HAS TO BETTER, so always get the BIGGEST number that is available regardless the cost.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back