Shoot for the moon

dizzyg44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first serious attempt at shooting the moon. Making me think twice about parting with my DX body.

Please C&C

D90
300mm (sigma 70-300 APO)
F5.6
1/50th
-2EV
Spot meter
UV/Haze Filter

The first real scenario I've had the live view was a must (no Mup mode) and zooming 100%.
3861001070_9d8870d679_o.jpg

2. Same except 1/20th and -1ev
3860218827_529935284e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, these are both 100% crops.

This was done on a tripd, Velbon 530 Carbon fiber, used ml-3 remote for release/

Thanks

Oh ok ok, i want to buy that lens for my Nikon D60, are you happy with it?

I see what you mean, but it's so slight that it could've been wind, camera strap waying, shutter, who knows. It's a surprisingly stable tripod for what it is but it's more geared for portability.

Given the results from the equipment available, still rather pleased.

Avi, For the price, I'm really pleased especially with the colors this lens achieves. I can't remember if the D60 has a focus motor so you may have to go manual only.

this particular copy has a tight spot between 70-105, but past that the zoom ring is smooth. The lens is really light weight.

It's an awesome sub$100 lens but naturally doesn't compare to my 70-200/2.8

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Avi,

sorry for the delay.

Mine is not the motorized version. I've also had the nikon 55-200vr you mention as well as their 70-300VRII.

If I was restricted solely to the choices you ask I would go with the sigma (because I can use it on my FF body, where as the nikon is DX). If I was DX only, then the nikon.

But also, what is your intended purpose for the lens and your photography. I ask as I've been through several bodies, and lenses and should've "bought it right, bought it once" My preferred lens is 70-200 2.8 HSMII

If I was restricted solely to the choices you ask I would go with the sigma (because I can use it on my FF body, where as the nikon is DX). If I was DX only, then the nikon.

Well i'll use it just in my D60

But also, what is your intended purpose for the lens and your photography. I ask as I've been through several bodies, and lenses and should've "bought it right, bought it once" My preferred lens is 70-200 2.8 HSMII

I want a zoom lens to take animal pictures like birds, squirrels etc. but also i like that the sigma can be used for close-ups.

oh and the 70-200 seems to be a GOOD lens hehe, but i cant afford it :p

Thank you for the help!:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back