Shoot in the snow

Johno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be doing a shoot for a SMX review (Like a GT snowracer on crack, 4" front and rear suspension) I've never shot in the snow I hear Exposure can be pretty tricky, any of you guys have any tips? I've already told the rider that if he wears Black I'll pistol whip him. I've got a couple of 550 ex's that I can use remotely, Should I be looking into more powerful strobes? Normally I would just do it, trial and Error style, but this is one of the first reviews of the product and I'm feeling the pressure a bit :)
any help at all would be most appreciated. I'm hoping that the weather will cooperate but I'm worried that it will be bright and sunny.

I really dont' think you'd need any extra lights considering that snow is pretty bright.

Sw1tchFX said:
I really dont' think you'd need any extra lights considering that snow is pretty bright.
I'm just worried that If I expose for the bright snow all the detail in the rider will get lost. Black cat in a snowstorm... Is my logic wrong here?

You are probably better off exposing for the sled & rider...and letting the snow detail blow out....than exposing for the snow. Or you could try to get some fill light.

A flash would probably be good for fill...you will probably need the high speed sync feature of the 550...which, along with the cold...will eat the batteries...so bring lots and keep them warm.

From experience, overexposing by 1 or 1&1/3 stops will just do the trick. The camera meter thinks that white snow is an overexposed grey card, so it undersexposes by that much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back