Shoot through or Bounce?

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey I was just wondering what everyone prefers out there between shoot throuhg and bounce. I just bought a shoot through recently and it seems to give a very dramatic look when only using one, never used a bounce but I assumer it works like a wall and spreads the light much more evenly. Which do you prefer if you only could have 1?

I prefer a shoot through. I just find it easier to predict the outcome, and it's not all that different I look than reflective umbrellas.

sactown024 said:
Hey I was just wondering what everyone prefers out there between shoot throuhg and bounce. I just bought a shoot through recently and it seems to give a very dramatic look when only using one, never used a bounce but I assumer it works like a wall and spreads the light much more evenly. Which do you prefer if you only could have 1?

The shoot thru will give big soft diffuse light (if you put it close enough to yoir subject). The reflected will give you a harder more dramatic light.

I found that the shoot thru really allows the light to wrap around your subject which produces much more subtle shadows.

Shoot-throughs tend to provide more even, wrapping light, while a white bounce tends to be a little harsher, but as mentioned more controllable and a silver bounce even more so. If I could only have one, then I would go for shoot-through, as IMO, it's more of a general-purpose tool, but it REALLY depends on the desired result.

If your shoot through is too harsh for you, move it as far as the rod will allow it from your light and then get it as close as you can to your subject.

Reflective umbrellas tend to be more directional and have more contrast and pop.

For all types of umbrellas, remember: further the light source is to umbrella the softer it is. Closer the umbrella is to subject the softer it is.

I like to bounce.

All depends what you want to do.

using a bounce umbrella will create a more hash contrasty light than a shoot though but you will have alot more control over a shoot though. it all depends what you shoot, how much power you need and what your trying to create. each technique as cons and pros and create different light. especially if you bounce with a silver lining umbrella.

I prefer reflecting umbrellas over shoot-through designs. I also have a fondness for enclosed umbrella boxes, which are reflecting umbrellas with a front diffusion panel, so the light is doubly diffused (leading examples are the Lastolite Umbrella Box, and the Photek Softlighter, the ones Annie Liebovitz shoots with all the time.)

When used with studio flash, which often has a good deal of power, shoot-through umbrellas can easily spill light all over the place. I don't like the look that most shoot-throughs create on human skin.

Derrel said:
I prefer reflecting umbrellas over shoot-through designs. I also have a fondness for enclosed umbrella boxes, which are reflecting umbrellas with a front diffusion panel, so the light is doubly diffused (leading examples are the Lastolite Umbrella Box, and the Photek Softlighter, the ones Annie Liebovitz shoots with all the time.)

When used with studio flash, which often has a good deal of power, shoot-through umbrellas can easily spill light all over the place. I don't like the look that most shoot-throughs create on human skin.

Yeah, I know this one guy who uses shoot throughs for EVERYTHING and then uses all sorts of flags and gobos to control spill. It's like "uh you could use 10 gobos and a gigantic shoot through or you could use one soft box."

To me, they all have their place. They all produce subtly different effects. You can rig each to ape aspects, and there is a lot of overlap on what they do, but they are different. And the differences aren't necessarily better or worse, they just accomplish different goals.

Soft box is softness + directionality. Gridded softbox is somewhat soft plus even more directionality. Gridded snoot is contrasty, hard and directional. Shoot through is your ultimate in softness but almost no control over directionality. Reflective is contrast, slightly hard, but more control than shoot through.

Last edited:
I find myself using a 36" umbrella more than ever. Shoot through most of the time. Very convenient.

I'm mostly using 43" umbrella-boxes these days. Love the quality of light as well as the control, plus they're just as easy to set up and break down as a regular umbrella, which can't be beat. I've got a couple of 24" pop-open speed-light boxes that come in handy for smaller stuff that I like too because they're so easy to set up and break down.

I rarely use regular umbrellas anymore, either shoot-through or reflected.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back