Shoot tomorrow, please help with lighting layout!

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, wish I could post more on here but work always gets the better of me!

I've got a shoot tomorrow with a model from modelmayhem.com and I've found a brilliant spot on the beach to shoot. There's loads of ropes and nettings from various boating equipment laid out nicely to provide a brilliant backdrop for a model to lie on. I was thinking of having the model in some kind of jacket with a fluffy hooded rim which she can hold to her face in a cute kind of pose.

In terms of lighting (this isn't me being lazy, this is all I have) I have either a softbox (umbrella sized) or a shoot through umbrella with an SB800 to achieve this. I'm shooting in the DARK so no ambient light will break through at all.

This is the layout for the area, the arms and legs won't be sprawled out, this is just me being lazy in paint (and please please ignore the terrible paint job)
eeCIL.jpg

and this is the lighting setup I was thinking of doing
cpizE.jpg

Do you think this will work? Please help me!

I don't see why not. You may have to play around with light placement and intensity a bit to get the desired effect, but you'd want a top down kind of angle I'd guess.

Keep an eye on the shadows,and where they fall on her face. Lighting from "below", where there are shadows that go upwardly, usually look spooky, evil, weird, or disturbing...so keep an eye on where you place the light in relation to her face. I think this is what o hey tyler meant when he said you'd want a top down kind of angle; in terms of where the light is placed in relation to her face, I'd agree with that, mostly. The light could come from off to one side as well, but do try and keep the light above her nose,at least.

Keep an eye on the shadows,and where they fall on her face. Lighting from "below", where there are shadows that go upwardly, usually look spooky, evil, weird, or disturbing...so keep an eye on where you place the light in relation to her face. I think this is what o hey tyler meant when he said you'd want a top down kind of angle; in terms of where the light is placed in relation to her face, I'd agree with that, mostly. The light could come from off to one side as well, but do try and keep the light above her nose,at least.

Derrel, what would this forum be without you!

What size and brand is the softbox, and what size is the umbrella?

I would likely use the softbox because it offers more control (less spill).

Umbrellas come in different sizes. In general I use 3 sizes mainly 32" 45" AND 60".

The 32" is for head, and head/shoulder shots. The 45" gets used between head/shoulder and 3/4 shots, and I use the 60" for full length shots

Also don't forget to bring along a reflector or two (the proverbial white card stock if nothing else is available). Since you're not going to have a fill light, I think some sort of reflector may be necessary to reduce some of the shadow, especially around lips/nose.

Also don't forget to bring along a reflector or two (the proverbial white card stock if nothing else is available). Since you're not going to have a fill light, I think some sort of reflector may be necessary to reduce some of the shadow, especially around lips/nose.
Which is a good reason to not shoot at night. You can minimize the ambient light exposure by using your camera's max x-sync speed.

What size and brand is the softbox, and what size is the umbrella?

I would likely use the softbox because it offers more control (less spill).

Umbrellas come in different sizes. In general I use 3 sizes mainly 32" 45" AND 60".

The 32" is for head, and head/shoulder shots. The 45" gets used between head/shoulder and 3/4 shots, and I use the 60" for full length shots

I want some spill to bring out the fantastic backdrop, I don't think a softbox would offer the light I'm after. I do have 32" softbox and umbrella and nothing else (won't be able to obtain another in time.) But I'll bring both along and see the results, and of course post them on here!

I've got a home made silver one (foil :p) although I'm after a long body shot but I'm sure I'll get a few headshots.

^^^^^^^^^^
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Remember: no light at all = black

You might get a bit of wrap-around from the umbrella... maybe something bouncing from whatever is there, but you need a fill.

Good luck.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back