Shooting a band tonite. What lens should I use?

Biggs88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I am going to try to shoot my buddies band tonite at a hole in the wall bar. Its going to be dim lighting, but I *think* I can use flash.

Anywho, I only want to bring one lens. Should I bring my 18-200 f3.5 with VR, or my 50mm prime f1.8 without VR?

Thanks guys!

Unless you *know* you can use flash, and are limiting yourself to one lens, my money would be on the nifty fifty.

Seriously......... consider just bringing both. They aren't that heavy, and they don't eat much. It beats the hell out of the inevitable "Dammit! I wish I had brought (insert name of lens left at Home here)!"

Unless you *know* you can use flash, and are limiting yourself to one lens, my money would be on the nifty fifty.

Seriously......... consider just bringing both. They aren't that heavy, and they don't eat much. It beats the hell out of the inevitable "Dammit! I wish I had brought (insert name of lens left at Home here)!"

If it's a hole i the wall bar... I'm 99% positive that you'll be able to use your flash... however, I still agree with Stradaw... depending on how packed the place is, you might want the wide angle at some point.

I've shot at your normal club sized concert venue and I generally don't use anything over 70mm. Primes are a hassle as well, as when you're shooting you can't always get into the position you need to be in to capture certain people on stage. VR will be fairly useless.

Thanks guys for the info so far!

I told my friend I was going to bring my camera to just see what comes of it. He now wants me to get photos for their website.

So, now that im not just screwing around, but really trying to get the best shots I can for my buddy, I am going to rock both.

Ill keep the 18-200 and the SB-600 on the D300s and i'll keep the 50 on the D90.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back