Shooting in Raw

Calypso b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't seem to figure out the benefits of shooting in raw. I have been reading articles on it but I still don't see why it's the way to go. Can someone help me out here?

Shooting in RAW retains all of the information that was captured by the sensor when you took the shot (usually 12- or 14-bit color depending on your camera) whereas JPG is only 8-bit color. So once your camera converts the image to a JPG, it basically discards the information it can't store.

If you're going to do any kind of post-processing, RAW is virtually a necessity, because the more information you have, the more you can tweak it without artifacts. If you're not editing the photos at all, then RAW is probably not necessary.

The analogy is that RAW files are negatives and JPGs are your developed photos. If you shoot in JPG, you're just getting the "prints" and the negatives are destroyed.

I can't seem to figure out the benefits of shooting in raw. I have been reading articles on it but I still don't see why it's the way to go. Can someone help me out here?

RAW...never heard of it.

RAW captures more "information" per shot than Jpeg. You have more control over the final image than with jpeg. Jpeg is a format that looses data (which means lower image quality) and RAW is a lossless format meaning - what the camera is able to capture, you have available to work with.

Jpg...never heard of that either.

I bet this topic has been addressed in at least 100 other topics on here before. At least!

RAW

Showing results 1 to 30 of 400
Search took 0.90 seconds.

Which means it maxed out its search...

I did search it....couldn't find what I was looking for!

I give up asking questions on this forum...so many people on here are so rude. I am officially quitting the forum because I have had so many smart ass responses to my questions. Yes it is a beginners question - hence the reason I posted in the beginners area.

If you don't like my questions just don't answer it - instead of writing three posts that mock me. Don't you have anything better to do? Like learn how to be a kinder person perhaps?

Calypso What else do you need to know? I'm not trying to be rude, im willing to help.

But have you shot in raw before? Just try this , Take a picture of the samething in Raw + Jpeg. Then just compare the two when your editing.
And when Adobe raw editor comes up sharpen your image change the tones , curves, fill light, ect.
And see how you feel about it after words.

4 were helpful and 1 was rude. Not a bad average, really. Learn to use the ignore button and put that stuff behind you.

As for the RAW question, what the others have said already. Try an experiment though. Shoot the same scene in JPG and in RAW, then open them up in a RAW editor and see how much more you can do with the RAW version. To a significant degree, you can change your exposure settings after the fact, like to bring an over-bright sky back down to more acceptable levels, or to bring something too dark back up, getting detail in either.

I think of RAW as a negative that can be used extensively in a darkroom, while JPG is more like a Polaroid that is whatever it was when it popped out - you're mostly stuck with it. JPG is also compressed, which means that information has been discarded; thrown away just to get a smaller file size. That information is the details you'll never be able to get back.

You just have more control over your photos . I just starting shooting raw, and i can tell a HUGE differnece. When i open my raw files , Adobe raw opens up and gives me more options for editing than a JPEG.

check out this guys RAW vs JPEG videos . for a more precise answer
YouTube - JaredPolin's Channel

That dude's hilarious. I love his channel and as much as he jokes around and whatnot his videos are usually pretty informative.

Interesting. I will try that. Can I download my raw images into iphoto and then process them in CS4? It seems like I can do so much with my jpegs in photoshop! I can't imagine that there is still more I could do!

4 were helpful and 1 was rude. Not a bad average, really. Learn to use the ignore button and put that stuff behind you.

Ohh come on now, that wasn't rude, I only pointed out the obvious.

You tell them to learn how to use the ignore button, I tell him to learn how to use the search function. Mine seems more productive. I win! :peacesign:

I am only kidding by the way. Everyone put on their big boy/girl shorts. You are online...

You just have more control over your photos . I just starting shooting raw, and i can tell a HUGE differnece. When i open my raw files , Adobe raw opens up and gives me more options for editing than a JPEG.

check out this guys RAW vs JPEG videos . for a more precise answer
YouTube - JaredPolin's Channel

That dude's hilarious. I love his channel and as much as he jokes around and whatnot his videos are usually pretty informative.

Haha ! I can't stop watching his videos. lol him and lily ! hahah !
I need to order one of those I shoot RAW shirts. There pretty sweet.

Most reactions

Back