Shooting models

nsteezyy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! Been awhile since I posted. I finally decided to start shooting models. I have never done a shoot with a model so its kind of a new thing.
I just wanted to know what equipment to use? I am thinking of picking up an AlienBee, but I still am not sure which one to get.
Also, I needed opinions and best lenses for portrait shooting or models, budget is around 100-400.

Thanks!

I'd recommend you start shooting outdoors before you start spending $ on lighting that you obviously don't have the experience yet for...but I use AB800s and a roomful of supporting gear. My simple studio, and I stress simple is in the $3K range? I started with speedlights. Cheap and sufficient for starters.

Just saw your budget...you cannot afford a studio yet.

My mobile studio cost roughly $2k and that is bare bones.

Sb800
36" soft box
5-1 reflector
8x10 gray backdrop
Optional pocket wizards
3 light stands
Various brackets and clamps.

This really only is good for waist up shots, I mainly use it for headshot.

I don't think it's impossible. Not ideal, but not impossible for a simple setup.

-Yongnuo yn-565 or 568: $170
-Light stands and umbrella. This is where you can find a good deal. You can find a set for $50 if you're patient.
- umbrella swivel: $15
-basic backdrop - $50

You really need 2 speed lights, but for getting started, this is what I would do.

I'd recommend you start shooting outdoors before you start spending $ on lighting that you obviously don't have the experience yet for...but I use AB800s and a roomful of supporting gear. My simple studio, and I stress simple is in the $3K range? I started with speedlights. Cheap and sufficient for starters.

Just saw your budget...you cannot afford a studio yet.

Yeah, I am going to shoot outdoors, but the only problem is lighting and finding the perfect spot. What do you think about a Nifty-fifty 1.4 or a 1.8?

My mobile studio cost roughly $2k and that is bare bones.

Sb800
36" soft box
5-1 reflector
8x10 gray backdrop
Optional pocket wizards
3 light stands
Various brackets and clamps.

This really only is good for waist up shots, I mainly use it for headshot.

Damn, I probably will build my way up!

Thanks for your guys' responses.

Outdoors? Ok, take out the backdrop. Nifty fifty is ok to start with. I would go with the 85 1.8 for outdoors.

Lies! One is more then enough.

Well most people like one light for the subject an one for the backdrop. Since he'll be shooting outdoors, you're totally right!

Well most people like one light for the subject an one for the backdrop. Since he'll be shooting outdoors, you're totally right!

Naw I shoot medium gray and that casts a light enough reflection to make the subject stand out.

Outdoors? Ok, take out the backdrop. Nifty fifty is ok to start with. I would go with the 85 1.8 for outdoors.

How much do backdrops usually run for? I will most likey get the 50 1.4 or both.

You really need 2 speed lights, but for getting started, this is what I would do.

Lies! One is more then enough.

Dang, sadly i sold my 430 EX II like a few weeks ago ):

How much do backdrops usually run for? I will most likey get the 50 1.4 or both.

Dang, sadly i sold my 430 EX II like a few weeks ago ):

I paid close to $200 for mine. It's a poly blend rather than muslin so it travels easier and requires less cleaning and ironing.

I usually use 4 lights, one main, one fill, 2 rim/hair or background...I need one more light!

As far as shooting outdoors, just remember to meter for your subject and care less about getting the background exposure perfect. It takes a little practice but I prefer shooting outdoors to studio x1000. Studio is just so boring but it is easier to have half dressed naked models posing.

>SNIP>
-Light stands and umbrella. This is where you can find a good deal. You can find a set for $50 if you're patient.
- umbrella swivel: $15
-basic backdrop - $50

I just rec'd a catalog today from Adorama, their new "Bring On Spring" circular, and noticed they have a FLashpoint umbrella kit with two 6.5 foot light stands, two 33"inch umbrellas with removable black backing fabric, and two swivel mounts; total cost? $49.95. Item # LTOU

A lot of people will tell you that you need 10-foot stands or 8, or 9, or even 13 foot stands...which I think is an overstatement. In many of today's rooms, a 6.5 foot stand + a 40 inch umbrella is as high as one can go!!! On seated or reclining poses, a 6.5 foot stand is PLENTY tall.

You need some low-rent lenses. And a camera. And some models.

I just rec'd a catalog today from Adorama, their new "Bring On Spring" circular, and noticed they have a FLashpoint umbrella kit with two 6.5 foot light stands, two 33"inch umbrellas with removable black backing fabric, and two swivel mounts; total cost? $49.95. Item # LTOU

A lot of people will tell you that you need 10-foot stands or 8, or 9, or even 13 foot stands...which I think is an overstatement. In many of today's rooms, a 6.5 foot stand + a 40 inch umbrella is as high as one can go!!! On seated or reclining poses, a 6.5 foot stand is PLENTY tall.

You need some low-rent lenses. And a camera. And some models.

Wow, nice deal. Ill think about that myself.

Thanks everyone again, for all the replies and suggestions.
Thats a great deal for the umbrellas and two stands, but i cant afford two more strobes ):
What do you guys think about a 24-105?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back