Shooting panoramas: Is is better to take more shots?

LoafofDread

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Since my camera doesn't have a panorama mode I take the series of shots for it and then stitch them together on my computer.

Would it be better (i.e. easier for the program to make a smooth panorama) to just take a bunch of shots that overlap a lot vs. fewer shots that overlap less?

I always take far more than necessary. It's better to have 'em and not need 'em than to need 'em and not have 'em.

A typical 270° pano, for me, is 30-40 portrait-orientation shots.

3 high 10 across. 30 shots.

Start at far left. Top middle bottom.

Move right but overlap 10%, top middle bottom.

Rinse and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always easier for the panorama stitching software to stitch the photos correctly when there's a great amount of overlap.
When I shoot for a panorama, I look through the viewfinder for focal points. "On the right side of this photo, there's a small tree standing remotely of other trees. I'll put it on the left side for the next photo." That's my thought process. That small tree on the right side of the photo could be right at the edge, or almost smack dab in the middle, doesn't matter. As long as I see a clear overlap, the software will probably detect that, too. That's my experience, at least, with Photoshop CC.
When I use a tripod, I try to be more precise. But because I only have a ball head, not a panoramic head, I prefer shooting for panoramas handheld, using the technique laid out by Kevin Raber.
I never shoot for a panorama at a focal length shorter than my system's standard focal length (21.6mm). The standard focal length is the easiest to manufacture with little to no distortion and best uniformity, so it gives more consistent results. I also try to shoot at the optimal aperture for sharpness, more so than with any other shot, because I tend to print stitched panoramas much more often than any other photo.

Last edited:
Are you shooting in portrait because that is the best way for panoramic's

Not always.... it depends on the software you're using. Some software can't handle multiple rows of images.

Sorry… Read a comment incorrectly… Disregard.

Last edited:

Not always.... it depends on the software you're using. Some software can't handle multiple rows of images.

You can work around this.

If you took the images 3 high 10 across- (If using a program to stitch them) You can create 3 panos separately and then merge those three you just made into the final image. In essence you would be making 4 total panoramas.

I shoot vertical because it is more sharper than horizontal. In horizontal you can take in too many and some areas will be blurred while in portrait, you may be shooting a lot of frames but they are sharper by far. Try it.

Maybe if you use a FF camera the reach is much more pronounced but if you are using a cropped DSLR the reach will not be as good. Well at least this is my opinion. I mostly shoot handheld because I am lazy to bring my tripod most of the time.

sounds like it's more of an issue with the corner sharpness/distortion of the lens being used.

veritical orientation also helps give you more ground/sky in your pano. Wide doesn't matter since you'll be stiching a wide image anyways.

sounds like it's more of an issue with the corner sharpness/distortion of the lens being used.

Kind of the point I was trying to make, but wanted to hear from Izzie.

Seems like equipment specific issues.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh I got to be picked on today am I? :confused: I had done this many times...shoot handheld both with a regular lens and a zoom lens and my 50mm...in dead cold winter too and I prefer the vertical orientation better than the landscape. I may be a lousy amateur photographer but I can judge from my photos when I got a good one going...maybe I should have a Gigapan camera instead...:mrgreen:

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh I got to be picked on today am I? :confused: I had done this many times...shoot handheld both with a regular lens and a zoom lens and my 50mm...in dead cold winter too and I prefer the vertical orientation better than the landscape. I may be a lousy amateur photographer but I can judge from my photos when I got a good one going...maybe I should have a Gigapan camera instead...:mrgreen:

Shooting vertical images to be the "ingredients" of the panorama lets you shoot more images for a single-row panorama, meaning greater resolution. That's why I always shoot vertically.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back