Shooting RAW in color or B&W?

kittenbreath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you know you are looking to take black and white pictures as a final product, should you use the b&w setting in your camera or shoot and color and remove the color in post-processing? I shoot in RAW format.

I would second that as you can always convert in post.

more options as well.

If you shoot RAW, it's color by default.

You may still be able to select B&W, but that just means that the LCD previews will be in B&W. If that's something you want, do that.

Shoot in B&W, the colour data will still be there once you get it onto your computer.

You're always shooting in colour, your camera has an RGB sensor. If you're shooting in .jpg, the camera is simply applying internal processing to give you a monochrome image. I always recommend doing conversions in post, as it gives far more control over the image.

If you're shooting in RAW (and you'll have the color image to work with either way), selecting B&W just so you get B&W previews on the LCD could still be useful. I wouldn't necessarily use the in camera processed B&W images (do your own conversion in post), but the LCD preview should at least help in making sure you have the exposure/contrast you want.

Most reactions

Back