Shopping for my first DSLR

mwdoher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a camera that shoots 1080p video, and I'm happy with Canon products (both for affordability and they're what I'm familiar with). I really didn't want to break $1000 on the camera/lens combo, but it looks like it's inevitable if I want to avoid the 55mm break between lenses. I have both the T2i and T3i listed as the body, but I'm open to other suggestions. Frankly, though, I don't NEED the T3i; there are so few differences that I won't know the difference. When I do, it's time to upgrade anyhow.

1 - Price range ~$1000 (less is better, obv.)
2 - The typical kit lens is 18-55mm. I'd like to have a bit more focal range.
3 - 1080p Video
4 - Longevity & Upgradability

Am I being a baby about the 55mm break? If I am, then Option #2 is easily the best deal I've found. Honestly, though, I'm leaning toward #1… Let me know if you have a chance to check them out!

Option/Kit #1
Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR Camera w/ EF-S 4462B005 B&H

Option/Kit #2
Costco - Canon EOS Rebel T2i Camera 3.7 Frames Per Second HD Video 1920x1080

Option #3 (not sure if costco or B&H is best) total $849.99 (plus tax @ Costco, no tax @ B&H)
Canon T3i DSLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens, Instructional DVD, & 4GB SD Card
or
Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital Camera Kit 5169B003 B&H Photo Video

i believe the 3ti is the better cam. it also has a swivel screen which would come in real handy for that video you're thinking about. good luck.

I second that opinion. T3i will be better for video and for low shots because of its tilt screen. I have one and it was infact the tilt screen which made me choose it over the T2i.

Both these bodies give very similar picture and video quality.

Cameras don't have upgardability... that's why you invest in good glass :) So, start with a good camera that will give you what you want and plan to keep it for a while. Then spend the rest of your money buying lenses that suit your needs best - and keep in mind that they'll probably work on any camera you buy in the next 10-15 years. I haven't shot any video beyond a 1 minute clip with my iPhone of my girls being silly... so I can't really comment on video - but from what I've read, holding your DSLR steady enough to get something good out of it sounds challenging.

Fair enough, everyone! I have 2 response comments then... 1 - The video is more of a convenience. I have a camcorder for handheld movie creation (as well as an iPhone 4). For movies, it would all be tripod-based, so the tilt screen is mere convenience, not necessity. I guess my version of "upgradability" was directly related to the lenses. If I buy a T2i or T3i, will the lenses fit a Mark IV that gets released in 5-7 years?

Anywhere else to find the following kit for less, by the way? Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital Camera W/EF-S 18-135mm 5169B005 B&HMost importantly, do any of you suggest something other than the 18-35mm kit lens for my first lens on this thing? I want it to be as versatile as possible. I doubt I'd be able to buy new "glass" until next summer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

Most reactions

Back