Should I bring a tripod on Europe trip...

Given the 3 lens you were planning on bringing, I'd bring the 24-70 f2.8. My rationale? If you want to go wider, it's likely in a narrow street or inside a building/room in which case the f4.5 aperture won't be light enough. The 70-200mm f2.8 probably won't be valuable since you're not planning on wildlife or sports and it's big. Put the 24-70 on your camera and never take it off. And okay, don't get a tripod. But look in to the small mini-3-legged device...it's small and light. Or a clamp that screws in to the bottom of your camera. You'll use one of them for only 10 shots--but you'll be glad you had them. B/c they'll be long exposures.

I'm a big fan of primes but the 50mm f1.4 does little for you unless you want to shoot flowers with a narrow DoF. f1.8/f2.0 could help you in a dark room or chapel but the 50mm will be to big (you'd want a 24-35mm focal length inside). So just bring the 24-70mm. That allows you to really travel light, keep your camera on you at all times ready to shoot and eliminates times you're swapping lens.

I would just take all three of the zooms. Don't try and use all three each day, pick a lens based on what you expect for that day or half day. Sure there are some places you can just stop the car and grab a shot, but the best in that area is out walking around for at least a few hours.

Unless you have all that stuff because you are out making money with your camera (and then you wouldn't be asking this question) you have the stuff because you want to use it on trips like this.

You: Hey dad, this is a great location for the 70-200.
Dad: Only some fool would drag a 70-200 all the way up here.
and you: Pulling 70-200 out of your dad's pack.
(photography version of some movie)

I thought I would report back on my experience with the Europe trip for others who will be doing similar trips and are wondering what to bring. I ended up bringing a Sirui T-025X carbon fiber tripod, the 24-70 2.8L, and the 16-35 f/4. Camera body was a 6D. All of my gear (photography gear and all personal gear for the trip) I fit into a Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AWII. I went EXTREMELY light on my personal gear to fit everything.

I would say 99% of my shots were taken with the 24-70. Not only did I not feel like I needed the 16-35 too many times, the annoyance of trying to switch lenses in the middle of a Venice street kept me shooting the 24-70.

If I were to do it again, I would leave the 16-35 at home, but I would definitely have brought the tripod again. I got some amazing shots that I couldn't have gotten without it. There were a few long exposure shots that ended up not being tack sharp due to wind, but I wouldn't have been able to lug around a tripod any bigger than that.

Hope this helps any future travelers!

Thanks for the info on a travel tripod ... will keep that one in mind.
I am thinking even smaller, like the new Mefoto Air ones.

Personally, I wouldn't even take a camera unless it was one I didn't mind losing on the trip. I would be more likely to rent one from time to time on the trip to get a few shots, but unless someone else is paying me to go and take photos, I'd just go and enjoy the trip.
I have done several dozen bike trips across Europe and never bothered taking any cameras or lenses, renting for a day is more than enough. Enjoy the trip and don't make it a chore.

Thoughts on bringing the tripod?

Put it into the checked luggage or leave it at home!

Most Airlines do not allow for Tripods as cabin baggage or personal items and will charge you insanely for "specialized luggage" .... I wanted to take my Linhof 3333 to Scotland from Germany. The surcharge would have been 75 Euros per direction.

So I was already thinking I might regret lugging a tripod around. I may look into a little cheapie one but after everyone's replies (thank you!) I'm most likely not going to bring one at all.

Some of you mentioned that you wouldn't even bring the three zooms I listed. Out of the three I listed, which one would you leave home? My gut tells me the 70-200.

your gut is probably correct

My bag was 9.2 kilogram and I carried it nearly everywhere in California. Two bodies and Primes 24, 35, 50, 85, 200, 300. I had a small tripod with me and even the huge and heavy 360 precision absolute panohead. I did not use the tripod at all & I even took long exposure shots like the following (300mm on DX-format @1 sec) . I just found myself a sturdy stone to rest my camera on & done.

TPF__KC1_5913.JPG

There are many occasions when one is traveling that a good monopod is all you need. Much more compact and easy to put in a suitcase.

I flew Delta and didn't have any problems with the tripod strapped to my carry-on luggage (the Lowepro pack). I didn't check any bags. I didn't get any extra charges either.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

You fly Delta in Europe?

I would love to bring my best gear on a trip but it's to risky. I have a decent point and shoot (Canon sx60hs) and when used on a monopod, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference vs D3300 or D7200. I like to bring a Holga 120, it is so easy and fun. I carried it on and no one said anything about the monopod. I am packing it next trip for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back