Should I buy the 200mm for $170 zoom lens or save up for the 50mm?

LWigs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a newbie. I recently purchased a Nikon D5100. The kit lens is the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G w/ VR. A friend has let me borrow her Nikkor 50mm 1.4, and I am loving the bokeh. I want to get a similar lens: one that will achieve the clarity, zoom, and bokeh of my friends 50mm 1.4.

My question is this: should I save my money and buy the 50mm 1.4 w/ VR that will autofocus w/ my D5100? OR should I buy the Nikkor 55-200mm 4 w/ VR and is also compatible w/ my D5100 for $170 that I found on Craigslist?

I'm leaning more towards the zoom lens because I love to take pictures of nature and critters, and neither the 50mm nor my 18-55mm will deliver on that.

Please share your opinions.

I think you will get more enjoyment from the zoom at this stage. While the 50 will probably yield better image quality in the long run, it doesnt bring anything extra to you for nature at the moment. I would buy the zoom and later the prime, also when buying the prine Nikon now is releasing a 50mm f1.8 with a focus motor which may be cost a cost effective option to the f1.8 (although bit slower). You should be able to get a good enough bokeh from the zoom (wide or nearly wide open) at the telephoto end also.Hope this helps.

they are very different lens and most ppl would actually have both. Just as the 50mm does not give you the zoom, the 50-200mm may not get you the bokeh. 50mm 1.4/1.8 for indoor, non flash, baby, portraits with nice bokeh. 55-200mm for your telephotos.... also, I would recommend waiting for the 50mm AF-S 1.8 instead of 1.4, for half of the price.

Yep found the 55-200vr a great add on to the 18-55 and a great walkaround lens. Have taken over 1500 images with the last year on a D200 and my D90.

55-200vr Set on flickr. and has been my main workhorse lens last year. Even tho I also have the great Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which gets used a lot less. Also as mentioned you should and can add a prime or two at a later date.

And $170 isn't a great used price. Have seen them around $140-$160 regularly on craigslist.
And Amazon has them for $196 NEW! The one year warranty is worth more than $50 for me.
Now if they let it go for $150 or less than I'm on it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with ORB ... the 55-200 F4-5.6 VR would be a good add-on to your kit. You won't get the bokeh, low light capability or sharpness of the 1.4 prime but it is a very flexible walkabout lens. I would NOT buy it used on craigslist or ebay at that price. The "new" lenses are not as solid as they used to be especially with the electronics and VR so a good warranty is essential. Nikkor lenses come with a standard one year warranty and Nikon Inc. lenses sold by authorized Nikon Inc. dealers will have a Nikon Inc. Five Year Extension form you can mail in. You could also consider purchasing using a credit card that provides an extended warranty on new items (ie AMEX doubles the basic manufacturers warranty). Also, remember to include a filter to protect the front of your lens. Happy Shooting!

That 50mm lens is not a VR lens. I don't think there is a 50mm lens with built in image stabilization.

50mm don't need VR because they are mostly 1.8/1.4/1.2...

Unless you shoot video, which has been a game-changer when it comes to the usefulness of vr.

I'd suggest the op buy a 35mm f1.8 afs, it's a more economical alternative and a more "normal" focal length on a d5100

Unless you shoot video, which has been a game-changer when it comes to the usefulness of vr.

I'd suggest the op buy a 35mm f1.8 afs, it's a more economical alternative and a more "normal" focal length on a d5100

unless you have really really stable hand or using a tripod/offset rig, VR or no VR, video on DSLR is just going to be jittery.

the 35mm f1.8 is nice, very nice but there is also a new 50mm AF-S 1.8 coming out in june, i would wait and see. To get a better feel between 35mm or 50mm, grab you kit lens and shoot around with both setting, see which one you feel more comfortable with.

I say get BOTH!! most folks would have a zoom and a prime. (well, at least I do) and put your kit lens up for sale or keep it as a backup!

Most reactions

Back