Should I buy YongNuo 50mm f/1.8 Nikon?

mdmosta319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Want to buy a prime lens but little short on budget. So I was thinking about Younguo 50mm f/1.8 (Nikon D5200).
I know Yongnuo isn't as good as Nikon, How much difference would I feel? Focus, Sharpness, Color production?I want to know comparison,
I know price, no option available but Youngnuo.

Want to buy a prime lens but little short on budget. So I was thinking about Younguo 50mm f/1.8 (Nikon D5200).
I know Yongnuo isn't as good as Nikon, How much difference would I feel? Focus, Sharpness, Color production?I want to know comparison,
I know price, no option available but Youngnuo.

I think i've seen very good and poor sample/example images online made with this lens. Some copy variance? I nearly bought one a couple of months ago but i had too much doubts.

The first review I saw was of a Yo gnuo 50 for Canon, and it was absolutely horrible. I later saw a review of the Yongy 50 and it was a better lens. Used the Nikon is about $95. Personally, I would buy the Nikon.

Nikon.

If you can't find a used copy of the Nikon (unlikely; they're everywhere) save a little more.

Your D5200 is a DX body, so the 50mm lens will be like a short tele, a 75mm lens on a FX/35mm camera.
Is that what you want?

I would get the Nikon, used if necessary.
Yongnuo may do OK for flashes, but I question their quality control for optics.

Your D5200 is a DX body, so the 50mm lens will be like a short tele, a 75mm lens on a FX/35mm camera.
Is that what you want?

I would get the Nikon, used if necessary.
Yongnuo may do OK for flashes, but I question their quality control for optics.
Thanks.

I thought, Yongnuo would have little problems like Chromatic abberration, little soft edge in the corner etc and those can be edit using Lightroom, Photoshop. So I wanted to buy new yongnuo.
The first review I saw was of a Yo gnuo 50 for Canon, and it was absolutely horrible. I later saw a review of the Yongy 50 and it was a better lens. Used the Nikon is about $95. Personally, I would buy the Nikon.
I thought, Yongnuo would have little problems like Chromatic abberration, little soft edge in the corner etc and those can be edit using Lightroom, Photoshop. So I wanted to buy new yongnuo.

Do not plan to rely on LR to fix lens optical issues.
This could/will add a significant amount of additional work to processing the images.
It would be like shooting with the pop up flash, and having to remove red-eye on ALL the dozens of flash shots. That is a major PiA to do. I know, because I had to do just that.

Actually if the image is out of focus/soft, LR cannot magically bring it into focus.
You might sharpen it to make it look more like it is in focus. But it is still out of focus.

Worse yet is if the lens has back or front focus. I do not think your D5200 has AF fine tune to be able to compensate.

Nikon if possible.

I read some bad reviews of the yongnuo when it came out for canon. I afterwards saw an article that the yongnuo had a very light plastic film covering the rear lens (when new). Some wondered if it was possible some reviews left this on not realising so when it was reviewed. Not sure of this being the case or not

I have one for my canon.
I like it, but I'm just a noob.

I took this photo of my niece with it.
I liked the results

Shutterfly

Last edited:
I used the Canon version and it was REALLy soft wide open. To the point it made the 50 1.8 STM look really sharp wide open(it isn't).

The af motor was uncomfortably loud IMO. And slow. You may live with the slowness. The sound would have to be experienced. I cannot think of a modern lens for comparison.

So I guess it comes down to the savings. Stopped down it does get fairly sharp

https://bitgid.com

Last edited:
Highly recommend. All my images are taken with 1.8 and come out excellently.
My website is www.karissabestphotography.com if you wish to see. Camera and lens are important... but not as important as talent. If I can manage... so can you.

Oh and mine is Nikon.... wouldn't recommend any other brands

Most reactions

New Topics

Back