Should I switch to Cannon?

[Dillz]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dylanwhite.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D60 with 4 lenses but I have a small felling Cannon will be a better choice. anyways give me you comments :p

Why do you think Canon will be better?

What is your Nikon gear not doing for you that Canon gear will?

Well I always feel like im lacking a bit with my Nikon and I see these pros who all have cannon. it got my thinking that maybe cannon has better performance and outcome. im not looking to change anytime soon but when I do upgrade I dont know if I should switch.

Nikon and Canon are pretty much equals...if something is lacking it is most likely coming from the person behind the camera. I don't mean that as an insult, it just takes a lot of time and practice to get the max out of these cameras. You have a nice camera.

You're probably better off sticking with what you have...

What lenses do you have? An upgrade there will do much more than a new body.

For most kinds of photography, the difference between the quality you're going to get between your D60 and a comparable Canon are so miniscule they are for all intents and purposes nonexistent. Better lenses and particularly better technique will improve your shots much more than switching brands. If you're looking for an upgrade, getting a better Nikon camera will allow you to use all the gear you have now, but if you were going to sell off everything anyway it's up to you if you want to switch brands.

Is there a specific Canon lens or something you wanted to use? For example, one of the main reasons why I chose Canon over Nikon when I got a DSLR was because someday I want to master the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro lens (up to 5:1 magnification), which from what I know of doesn't have an equivalent with any other brand. Also, since I have really small hands, the tiny T1i body was the easiest for me to handle - comfort could be another potential reason for switching brands.

I have a 18-55, 50mm, 55mm widelens, 18-200mm

I think maybe a need a better cam. Mainly for my 50mm. I cant auto focus on with it. It makes it really hard in low light and parties...

A 5000 dollar cannon will get better quality images than a 500 dollar Nikon and vice versa. But when you compair Nikon and Cannon on the same level there are very close. More top pros shoot with Cannons I notice but that I think is because they offer more high end lens choices than Nikon. Then like jensgt says you have to factor in the skill level of shooter. Go with what fits your hand better is what I was told and you will be fine.

Well, Dillon, you've been shooting seriously for six months or so, and I think your early fashion- and people photography shows a lot of promise for somebody as new and inexperienced as you currently are. I've looked at hundreds of your photos and we've talked a bit offline, and I have read most of your posts,and I sort of feel like I understand how you are feeling. At "some level" equipment does make a difference. Cameras, lenses, films or sensors, lights, and lighting modifiers ALL can "make a difference" in how one's photographs are made, and how they look, to a degree.

My honest opinion is that you would be better served with a second format camera body of the same brand as you have lenses for. Be that Canon or Nikon. I think 24x36 sensor size yields more control over backgrounds on wide-angle photos, as well as more control over backgrounds in 'busy' environments, and I also think that 24x36 sensor size makes life much,much easier when using telephoto lenses indoors or in tight locations. But FF bodies are somewhat expensive--$2499 for a 5D Mark II right now with 16 gig CF card and small LowePro camera bag at B&H. If you can hit your mom or a grandparent up for some financing, you are one of the people who might make them not regret it! A Nikon D700 would be nice too.

My old college room mate wanted to be a fashion photographer,and he worked diligently on building a portfolio, for almost three years. He shot HUNDREDS of shoots, built his book, moved to LA, and within five months was shooting for Mademoiselle magazine. Then he developed stomach cancer after about a year, and was dead before he was 30... Sad story. He didn't have a lot of gear, but he had TOTAL familiarity with what he did own. Couple of Nikons, 35,50,100, 70-210 f/4, the first 80-200 ED-AiS f/2.8 Nikkor, Norman P-2000D pack and four light heads, some modifiers, some reflectors. And three years of practice.

I have a 18-55, 50mm, 55mm widelens, 18-200mm
Definitely a lot of room to improve your lenses.

I think maybe a need a better cam. Mainly for my 50mm. I cant auto focus on with it. It makes it really hard in low light and parties...
That's a fair comment. But upgrading to something like a D90 or D300 will get you what you want, without having to switch systems.

I would agree, don't be so quick to jump ship.
Switching systems is an expensive game, you lose alot of money on non-pro lenses and you will take a hit on the body as well.
You have mentioned in other posts that you want to shoot pro, well evey pro I know has at least 2 bodies, so why switch systems, save up and get yourself a D300, D700, D3 or a D3x and keep your current camera as a backup.

Try not to get over your head in gear, as your skill progresses get the gear you need. If you get something too advanced for yourself it can be frustrating, And just because you see pros using canon, is not a good enough reason to switch. Just wait until the first time someone pulls out a hassy and then you will want one of those.

Yeah You guys are right....Derrel I plan to be in the fashion world. No doubt. I want to learn as much as I can. Im just trying to emulate the great by finding out what they use. :)

Guys im looking for a better body and the d300 looks nice,(abit up there in price) also the d5000. Maybe for now (as I save up money) I should buy a better lens? Any ideas?

Most reactions

Back