Showing my age

I've never been out of the states, but I think I'll be content here until there's absolutely nothing else to see.
As for India, I can't even stand the smells coming from the local indian restaurant so that probably wouldn't go well.

I'm young, but I have no interest in traveling for an extended period of time.

Different strokes for different folks.

Good for her.

I've been traveling since I was 21.
All of my bio kids love travel and have instilled that love in their children.
Sort of like the Australians who travel so much, that if all of them went home at one time, the continent would sink.

It is sort of a shame that the US is so big and, essentially so isolated.
There is nothing so enlightening as to be in non-Western airports and so how much variety there is in the word.

Am I weird that Norway is one my top places to visit?

Let us dissect this question shall we.
teacher-smiley-emoticon.gif

"Am I weird that Norway is one my top places to visit?"....Yes.:lol:
"Am I weird that Norway is one my top places to visit?"....No I loved Norway & Sweden. :thumbup: Oslo is one of the coolest towns to visit. Loved the people. The scenery is spectacular and the midnight sun was amazing. If you go, try the Lutefisk and let us know what you think.

FYI...I tried the haggis while in Scotland. After that Lutefisk was not one of the menu choice I was making. Learned my lesson in Glasgow.
barfing.gif

Last edited:
Let us dissect this question shall we. "Am I weird that Norway is one my top places to visit?"....Yes.:lol: "Am I weird that Norway is one my top places to visit?"....No I loved Norway & Sweden. :thumbup: Oslo is one of the coolest towns to visit. Loved the people. The scenery is spectacular and the midnight sun was amazing. If you go, try the Lutefisk and let us know what you think.

Well most folks want to visit Paris, the Bahamas, etc... I like Norway, fjords, cold weather tall blonde women.

I've traveled a lot and I've lived in two other countries other than the States. I'd move abroad again in a heart beat, but not to some of the places that I would have been willing to live even just 10 years ago. At one point I almost transferred to Helsinki and I still regret that I didn't. If circumstances were right, I'd move there before I ever live in Florida again. No offense to you Floridians. It just doesn't suit me (I was there for 3.5 years.) I need at least one cold season and some hills! :)

I also applied for a transfer to Kuala Lumpur, but I would never choose that now. As I get older, I get less tolerant of certain things that used to bother me less, so for example, I would now shy away from very congested urban areas, for example. I already don't like being in crowded places here in the States and I'm no longer willing to deal with that PLUS being a foreigner at the same time. It takes a lot of energy to be a foreigner.

If it's important enough to me to live abroad again, I can do it pretty easily. I don't have kids, I don't have a business, I own almost nothing. I have extensive training and experience in teaching ESL and could get a decent job easily in any country. Legally, even! (I have dual citizenship and an EU passport, so I can work there easily whereas someone with only American citizenship might have more problems getting a work visa.) I'm good with languages and am comfortable in other cultures.

At this point in my life, I'm content to stay where I am, but if my situation changed and I found myself with few ties to my current location, there would be a good chance that I'd move back to Europe and do my travels from there.

Not at all. A very good friend of mine from another forum lives in Norway. She often sends me photos. Beautiful country.

Last edited:

Norway is one of the places that I would move to without even thinking about it. I'd move to just about any Scandinavian country, actually. Especially Sweden if they all look like Henrik Lundqvist ;)

And I'd want to live in Finland just long enough to get a driver's license and learn how to drive like those crazy Finnish rally drivers.

And I'd want to live in Finland just long enough to get a driver's license and learn how to drive like those crazy Finnish rally drivers.

You need a Finn to win!

She is graduating from American University in Paris and was only in Shanghai for a semester.
She's not crazy about Paris, beauty but dead.

What I envy is her complete indifference to any of the things that have tied me down.
I have had to slow down a lot.
Every time I go somewhere difficult, I think it may be my last hard trip.
I'm hoping to go back to Vietnam and Laos in early 2015 or perhaps India.
Depends on my wife's health.

Every time I go away, I start to think it's time to settle down and enjoy some of the benefits of staying in one place ... then a couple of years go by and I get real itchy feet.

I'm not that old yet but I have been finding myself going on shorter trips but spending a little more money to be a little more comfortable. Hard to imagine going away again for 6 months to a year.

If you do go away I look forward to hearing about it and seeing the pics!

Norway is one of the places that I would move to without even thinking about it. I'd move to just about any Scandinavian country, actually. Especially Sweden if they all look like Henrik Lundqvist ;)

Scandinavian Flick!

I've been to Mexico and Canada a few times each, but everything else has been within the US. Seen a lot of the US though.

I have a goal of continuing my grandfather's mission. He planned to set foot on all seven continents, but missed by one. I'm gonna start over and do it partly for him, but partly to see the world myself. I've had a number of medical issues, but I'm hoping I've got 50 or so years to do it.

I would love to be able to travel. Now, I get excited if I happen to make it down to Paris, Texas, every now and then.
I know this old dude in Colombia that would welcome you with open arms. :evil:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back