Shutter count? :-/

OcLove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
On a Canon 50D how can you find out the shutter count.? I'm looking into buying one off someone, and they did give me an amount when I asked what their shutter count was. But was curious how easy it was for them to retrieve that info.

Thank you but what is it? What do I do. Sorry I'm still somewhat new to this

Hmmm interesting. Well I have another question with that being said. Ok the canon 50D I'm looking into is from
Like a local classified ad type of deal. So is being purchased off someone. How could I obtain that information from them with out them really knowing that I'm double checking. Should I ask to have them email me a photo they took with the camera to see how well it is. Then again I'd have to some how ask it be a current shot which is a really stupid question of I'd ask lol. So do u by chance know what I can do as far as that goes ?

OcLove said:
Hmmm interesting. Well I have another question with that being said. Ok the canon 50D I'm looking into is from
Like a local classified ad type of deal. So is being purchased off someone. How could I obtain that information from them with out them really knowing that I'm double checking. Should I ask to have them email me a photo they took with the camera to see how well it is. Then again I'd have to some how ask it be a current shot which is a really stupid question of I'd ask lol. So do u by chance know what I can do as far as that goes ?

Bring a laptop and memory card with you when you go to buy it. Tell them you just want to take a couple test shots - upload them and check out the shutter count.

MTVision said:
Bring a laptop and memory card with you when you go to buy it. Tell them you just want to take a couple test shots - upload them and check out the shutter count.

Oh ok. So u did it with a picture tht I had taken
With my camera. And there was a Looong list of descriptions and I didn't see a
"Shutter Count" discription though. Is it called something else by chance or referred to as some
Other code or name ?

I would just tell them you need to check the info yourself. If they gave you the right # before there should be no problem asking to see the shutter count for yourself.

Canon DSLR do not put shutter count info in the ExIF. So ExIF viewer will not help.

For 50D, you can use this

astrojargon - EOSInfo

"he shutter count information is available *only* on Canon DIGIC III/IV DSLRs *except* the 1D* series. This means that EOSInfo will display the shutter counter for the 40D, the 50D, the 450D, 500D, and the 1000D. It will also show the shutter counter for the 5DMkII, but the camera must be power-cycled before the value is updated. "

You need to connect the camera to the Windows PC via USB. The software works well with my 40D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back