Shutter noise

Luna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
Quiet as can be..... since I don't have a dSLR :D

I was feeling slightly uneasy when taking pics the tomb of the unknown soldier as the noise seemed magnified
-shutter noise though is your cameras insides moving, so I would think you cant reduce the noise

dSLRs have flapping mirrors. Not much you can do about that. Compact P & S cams don't have flapping mirrors. And if they make a shutter noise, it is an electronic fake noise more likely than not, which sometimes can simply be switched off. Making the camera operate completely silently.

In the film days real wedding togs had Leica M cameras. It was the pro camera of choice (with price to match!). Super quality photos, with only a whisper for a shutter sound! They were famous for that.

I have been reading about the 40D and the shutter is supposed to be quieter. My 30D may to moved to backup position when I can get the 40D. Other than that I may start bringing my camera to interviews and having them hear how loud it is. But hey who know maybe I will never get a complaint like that again.

try shooting with any sony DSLR and you'll think your nikon sounds like nothing.

Yes all photographers should shoot with Leica range finders or digital point and shoots because mum didn't think the probably spectacular photos of her daughter were worth the ticking sound.

Shutters are mechanical. If you want the noise gone, redesign or remove them. Or better yet put a don't let mum complain clause in your contracts.

Completely off topic side note, why is it the last 4 negative things I've heard about weddings it was the mother complaining, when usually she wasn't even the one who signed the contract with the photographer?

why is it the last 4 negative things I've heard about weddings it was the mother complaining, when usually she wasn't even the one who signed the contract with the photographer?

Because you have selective hearing? :biglaugh:

I'll be technical and say that shutter noise usually isn't the problem, but mirror flap is. Not that it matters, really, a sound is a sound.

My Point and shoot makes a sound. It sounds like a tick of a clock only about twice or three times as loud. Not much at all, really, but you can still hear it.

I rather like the sound of a DSLR mirror/shutter. I know that's crazy, but it has a very crisp sound to it, its hard to explain. My dad's old Nikon FM2 was the best. It had fairly good volume and a good feel to the button when you pushed it down (I think because it was a manual shutter). It would probably be considered distracting, but not to me :)

I was once doing candid people photography in a public place with two friends. They had point-and-shoots and I was carrying my Pentax DSLR. After I took my first picture and the rather startled subject gave us a weird look and walked away, one of my friends turned to me and said rather angrily "can't you turn that noise off?!?!"

We had a good laugh at his expense, but the real irony is that he now shoots a Nikon FM something or other. I think you should learn to embrace the noise, since it comes with the territory. I would never seriously consider shutter sound when buying a digital body unless I needed a really irrelevant tiebreaker. I suppose I would maybe mention to my clients that my professional-style camera will make professional-style noises, because if they'd rather have me use a point-and-shoot I would rather not work for them in the first place.

Just schedule the event in a vacuum :D. I'm kidding of course. I really like the sound of a shudder actually, but I could see how the sound could bother others.

Most reactions

Back